Why become a member? ×

can you recommend a good combo

igloobuilding

Hi there, I wanting to buy a really good practice amp and wondered if any people here can recommend some good ones or possibly have one for sale? Im after a good quality practice amp, im interested in the ampeg combos such as the BA115, can anyone offer their thoughts on good quality practice amps? I dont wannt spend more than £250

Cheers

Ian

[quote name='igloobuilding' post='635446' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:47 PM']Hi there, I wanting to buy a really good practice amp and wondered if any people here can recommend some good ones or possibly have one for sale? Im after a good quality practice amp, im interested in the ampeg combos such as the BA115, can anyone offer their thoughts on good quality practice amps? I dont wannt spend more than £250

Cheers

Ian[/quote]I use a Line6 studio 110,it's very good imo,handles 5/6 string bass fine,and i use it for small jazz gigs with my EUB,check it out.

My recommendation as always is the Hartke Kickback 12 - great little amplifier that has some serious punch for it's size and it's a comfortable one-hand carry.

You won't get one new for £250 but I'm almost positive you'll find them used for that price on eBay and the like.

Hope this helps :)

[quote name='igloobuilding' post='635446' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:47 PM']Hi there, I wanting to buy a really good practice amp and wondered if any people here can recommend some good ones or possibly have one for sale? Im after a good quality practice amp, im interested in the ampeg combos such as the BA115, can anyone offer their thoughts on good quality practice amps? I dont wannt spend more than £250

Cheers

Ian[/quote]

i really liked the Roland Bass Cube that I used to have. Worked fine with a low B too. Guess it depends on how loud you want it to go.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='635616' date='Oct 24 2009, 09:00 PM']i really liked the Roland Bass Cube that I used to have. Worked fine with a low B too. Guess it depends on how loud you want it to go.[/quote]

+1 on the bass cube... very capable little amp, I use mine to rehearse with the covers band all the time and it's got a really good COSM amp modeling section as well as a few effects

[quote name='Monz' post='635636' date='Oct 24 2009, 08:19 PM']+1 on the bass cube... very capable little amp, I use mine to rehearse with the covers band all the time and it's got a really good COSM amp modeling section as well as a few effects[/quote]

Cool ill have a look at the Roland Cube, really like the look of a hartke combo

A bit +1 for the Line6 Studio 110 here as I have one as a practice amp. I A/B compared it against a Roland Cube in the shop when I bought it and through the Line6 sounded more 'natural', whereas the Roland models came across to me as a bit of a 'characateur' of what they meant to sound like. The Line6 is very pokey for 75 Watts and I've used it as a rehearsal amp with very well behaved drummers, and have gigged with it a couple of times DI'd into a big PA.

The Roland Cube isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it's well worth comparing the two to see what sound you like the best.

+1 for me on the Line 6 as well. Nice sounding amp, has lots of features to boot!

[quote name='peted' post='636493' date='Oct 25 2009, 09:03 PM']A bit +1 for the Line6 Studio 110 here as I have one as a practice amp. I A/B compared it against a Roland Cube in the shop when I bought it and through the Line6 sounded more 'natural', whereas the Roland models came across to me as a bit of a 'characateur' of what they meant to sound like. The Line6 is very pokey for 75 Watts and I've used it as a rehearsal amp with very well behaved drummers, and have gigged with it a couple of times DI'd into a big PA.

The Roland Cube isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it's well worth comparing the two to see what sound you like the best.[/quote]