Why become a member? ×

Epi UL310 - modify or not?

trent900

How do chaps and chapesses,

I am the lucky and proud owner of a Epifani UL310. As I understand it has 3 ten-inch drivers with a small tweeter.

I also have a big GK head which bi-amps, so a good GK cab would be driven by a 540W power amp and a 50W horn amp.

A mate of mine who knows a gnat or two about electronics (or so he says) suggests opening up the back of the Epi and modifying it so that it also can use the GK's horn amp with a 4-way cable.

Can anybody tell me if this is a good or stupid idea? I'm not expert enough to know. I just put cables in and play.

I am concerned that at the moment the Epi's value is about 500 squid but if I play with it it might turn into junk. Not that I ever plan on selling it it's so brilliant, but, well...one thinks about these things.

Thanks for any advice,

Jon

[quote name='trent900' post='635016' date='Oct 23 2009, 07:33 PM']A mate of mine who knows a gnat or two about electronics (or so he says) suggests opening up the back of the Epi and modifying it so that it also can use the GK's horn amp with a 4-way cable.

Jon[/quote]It could work very well if the tweeter is designed to operate at the same crossover frequency as the G-K. But if not it could be a problem so you'll have to be sure of that.

[quote name='chris_b' post='635030' date='Oct 24 2009, 01:10 AM']If this cab is so brilliant why do you want to run the risk of wrecking it? In my opinion, this is not a good plan![/quote]

Well, that's another very good point that has not gone unmarked. It [i]is[/i] a truly hexcellent cab as it stands but the devil on my shoulder won't shut up saying 'it could be just that bit better for almost no effort input'.

And thank you Bill, that's a very useful point. I'll check. I probably won't do this, I'm basically trying to get closure on something that's been rattling around my head for ages. :)

Thanks guys

Jon

[quote name='alexclaber' post='635251' date='Oct 24 2009, 07:59 AM']if the slope and frequency of the internal passive crossover is different to the active crossover on the GK then it'll make the cab sound different.[/quote]Maybe, but that might not be a bad thing. The intent of the G-K is to allow overdriving the lows while keeping the highs clean so as not to harm the tweeter. It's a good idea, but somewhat flawed in the execution, as the G-K highpass is fixed, so you can't adjust it to suit whatever tweeter it's used with.