Why become a member? ×

Gibson Ripper

lozbass

Again, after months of promises, I finally had a chance to take some photographs of my Ripper this morning. I bought the bass from A1 in Manchester in '79: it had been there for a couple of years and had experienced a hard gigging life - it played beautifully and sounded stunning (just like Patrick Djivas' bass) and was my first expensive bass - about £280 I think. I was well-chuffed to get hold of it and it served me fantastcally well during the second period of my 'career' from around '79 to '86 (see the Status pages for period three!) I had the bass re-finished by the incomparable Ted Lee in 1981 - check out the 2 pack AC burst and attention to detail: the guy's a genius! Around a year later, I had a Seymour Duncan Precision pickup and a cloned Precision Special active circuit fitted. The bass gained a lot as a recording instrument but lost its original Ripper sound - not a great idea but I still absolutely love it. The bass is now retired as I only really play short-scale, however, playability is unbelievable and the bass has a great old school tone

:rolleyes: Stunning bass - that finish looks superb with the maple board. I've always modded old basses, in fact it's half the fun of playing bass, but with the vintage market being driven by collectors it's a criminal offence these days. This bass has history, character, the personality of its owner, and is far sweeter than when it left Kalamazoo. Respect! :)

That's absolutely fab, love it. I used to love A1 music, it was like the catacombs down there, a proper music shop, and I loved Rhythm House in Stockport too, bought my first bass from there around '79, a Columbus Jazz, which was crap, but I were only a lad.