Why become a member? ×

Getting back into it

InTheGroove

Hey all, I'm new to the board.

After seeing some you-tube video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5XYgzGQB4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5XYgzGQB4[/url]

This bass is actually a Jazz bass copy, but It sounds awesome to me.

I've decided to start playing bass again, for this I could do with some advice

the decision about the bass I want can be helped by this info:

I want to play stuff like:

Slap-bass
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Marcus Miller
Jamiroquai

Pretty much anything funky, from what I've gathered it seems like a Jazz Bass, or a MusicMan will do the trick here? I really like the 'springy' sound and not the bland, deep tone, if that helps and you know what I mean.

So, if anyone can suggest a bass for me, based on the music I want to play, that would be much appreciated

Secondly, I want to start learning how to play the slap-bass licks I hear in songs, this is difficult because I can't seem to get anywhere in finding mp3 files, or the albums available to buy, with the music I hear that I want to play. Evidently this makes it near-on impossible to learn the songs. Where do I start?

I've tried torrents and such but nothing brings any joy.

Can you guys recommend some really funky bass albums, like for example BSSM.

I've also been told to check out Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke, but again, I don't know which of their albums to get, or if their music would be up my street, it's gotta be funky for me.

I think the bottom line here is, could you guys tell me some funky bass albums which I could get hold of and try to learn?

I know this is a lot to work on, but any advise about any of the questions here would be much appreciated

A grand will open up no ends of options for you. The trouble with asking for recommendations for an instrument like a bass is like asking for help in deciding what you will have for dinner tonight.

Its subjective....a matter of taste.

Some members here swear by Jazzes, others by Musicmans others by more bespoke makes.

Im sure the most common advice you will get is to ignore recommendations and go to a good dealer and try out everything he has in stock. Its even worth making a day of it if the dealer is not local. Try,try and try. You may even end up buying a bass you would never have normally considered because it feels right to you. Thats whats important.

Dont reject a certaim bass just because no one here has recommended it. You may love it. To me, basses are very personal instruments, they need to fit with your style of play and more inportantly, YOU.

Finally, dont think dearer is better....its not always.

Good luck.

PS - On the other hand, just find yourself a really nice Jazz and sod anyone elses suggestions!!!!

[quote name='InTheGroove' post='68363' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:28 PM']Thanks man, I like the Jazz Bass idea[/quote]
I think the first question you should ask is what won't you get sick of playing and structure your first inroads around that.

For example, if the youtube clip of the MM playing really gets you off, then why not get a used Fender Jazz? (Watch the pickup spacing on the jap made MM isn't the same as the 70's basses though, but the Geddy Lee Jazz is). Hearing the sound you like will give you pleasure and satisfaction, helping you to stay motivated.

OK, so its not going to a do-all bass but it's still going to give you an broad range of sounds to play with from p-bass-ish all the way to Jaco's fruity parping via Marcus. Thats pretty damn good for one instrument and I think there's a lot of common sense in going with a jazz as a only bass.

The guy in the video (as he mentions) uses a Dexter funky '60s(?)

After a quick search, I'm excited.

A funky 75:

[b]
[url="http://www.vintageguitar.co.kr/front/php/product.php?product_no=1778&main_cate_no=169&display_group=1"]They're fitted with D'Addario strings, made of Swamp Ash and use WaveNine pickups.[/url][/b]

Other basses: [url="http://www.werock.co.kr/front/php/category.php?cate_no=12"]http://www.werock.co.kr/front/php/category.php?cate_no=12[/url]

--

I feel like we're missing out; [url="http://www.schoolmusic.co.kr/Shop/index.php3?var=Good&Good_no=8008"]Sanctus[/url]?

Edited by paul, the

Stanley Clarke sure is funky. I guess before you go buying individual albums try a compilation. For slap there was a bloke in a band called Level 42 that was quite good.

Maybe your difficulty in finding good slap bass to listen to is cos its not popular now.

Bass wise you cant go wrong with a Jazz but there are a few nice J type basses for sale at the mo - including a Lakland Jerry Scheff and a GB Spitfire that is the dogs danglies.

[quote name='InTheGroove' post='68888' date='Oct 3 2007, 01:32 AM']Christ, how can slap bass not be popular now, that sh*t gives me a raging horn.[/quote]
Too much information.............!

There is a Lakland Joe Osborn Jazz, brand new, on Ebay right now for £699. Secondhand Lakland Skylines will be even less.

In my opinion these beat any equivalent Fender or Musicman hands down.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people making slap bass not popular.

I agree with neilb. One man's meat is another man's poison. Try try try try try as many basses as you can.

My buddy was after a passive five-string as his first bass. We went to a big bass shop and spent hours playing everything in (and slightly above!) his budget. After playing dozens and dozens of fours, fives, actives and passives, he eventually settled on a 4string active.

You just don't know what'll be right for you till it's in your hands.