Why become a member? ×

'ello one and all!

colda

I'm Darren, I exist online usually under the name 'colda' (no great interesting meaning - simply derived from my real name). Based in Swindon and working in London (Hammersmith) married, 4 kids, mess with computers by day, photography and bass all other times (and squeeze in the missus and kids where possible)

Got my first bass about 18 years ago (a beautiful hand made jobbie that I've always regretted selling) but never really learned how to play a note :)

Fast forward to Crimbo last year and we were trying to decide what to buy for the kids, we came up with the masterplan of guitars, so my eldest son and youngest daughter got guitars and my youngest son got a bass - we kinda thought that there may be a chance that they will take to them. At the time Lisa (my wife) said that she would like a drum kit, not really believing her I ended up having to endure a sulky Christmas - she got her kit in the new year and not to be outdone I plunged straight back into ebay to get something for myself - the result, a dodgy Vester Stage Series (60's jazz copy) that when I tightened the strings looked like it would be better suited to firing arrows and a Carlsbro Cobra 90 combo. As bad as it was it didn't deter me from enjoying it and now with so many years of regret from selling my first bass fueling the fire of wanting to learn there was no stopping me!

I joined a band (god knows why they agreed to take me on) and even though the Vester's action was now in the realms of normality (after strip down, clean up, truss rod abuse) it's still in need of a pro set-up and some bits replaced, so I bought a Washburn T14 - great bass to play (almost too 'right' in the fact it lacks personality), used it during my first rehearsals but as I'm a big guy that's put away a few too many pints in his time, I found I could only play the T14 on a short strap where the thing looked like it was being rested on my belly - needless to say, I felt like a bit of an arse. I was about to go the the local music shop and sacrifice my credit card when my flirting with ebay provided a Peavey Dynabass (in a Hiscox case) for £92, played it fell in love with it! Now we are also involved in the local music scene (venue/promoters) and have had the chance to mess with many basses since getting the Peavey and I feel no desire to swap it (am currently looking to get a 2nd one).

Still using the Cobra 90 for rehearsals but am putting together my bass thing - Behringer V-amp pro, compressor, 600W PA into a Laney RBC115 and a Laney RBC410 (although I don't have this as yet so if by chance anyone has one they are willing to part with....)

As for my basses - the T14 will find a new home (hopefully my son will find the desire), the Vester is going to be restored, I'm planning on using EMG JHZ pickups and am open to advice on what would make for a good replacement bridge and tuners.

Cheers :huh:

Darren

Edited by colda

[quote name='Hamster' post='68100' date='Oct 1 2007, 01:04 PM']4 Kids!! :wacko: You're no longer a parent - you're a referee! :)

Welcome

Hamster[/quote]

Tell me about it - the're all teenagers too (except the eldest - 21)! - feel sorry for me!

Ta :huh:

[quote name='Telebass' post='69159' date='Oct 3 2007, 05:07 PM']Welcome! And it's just a bad rumour that they will disappear when they get older...[/quote]

That's not even funny!

No worries though, we have a masterplan, if the're not out in a few years we're selling up and moving somewhere small and remote to get rid of 'em :)

[quote name='metaltime' post='69896' date='Oct 5 2007, 10:42 AM']welcome welcome my friend had a dyna bass and loved it[/quote]

gotta love the dynabass :)

although I'm a bit confused, seems that there are 2 types, mine looks like this:

although there also seems to be one with 4-in-a-line tuners, obviously as this 'imposter' is not like mine it must be the devil's spawn and should be cast aside - all hail Darren's dodgy bass! :huh:

[quote name='metaltime' post='69942' date='Oct 5 2007, 12:15 PM']my friends is the exact same but a different colour his bass is a freak he has a £700 yamaha and still much prefers his peavey it just sounds so dam good.

Have you noticed the lack of info on this model on the peavey website im sure it dosnt acctually exsist.

andrew[/quote]

Indeedy, since having mine I've tried to find out a bit of history but there is little out there, mine's far from pristine, which is one of the reasons I'm looking for a 2nd one, compared to the Fenders etc that I've tried there is just a feeling of being 'at one' with the bass that only exists with this thing - I think that they are actually some mystical/magical thingy from another realm :)

Had another recent 'ooohh' thing, I was planning on making a 2 x 12 combo with a behringer v-amp thing set in the top and an old FAL PA150 amp that I picked up off ebay for £15. I'd taken the FAL apart and realised, with the help of a hacksaw and adding a fan I could condense the amp to squeeze in with the drivers but shortly before it was placed on the operation table I looked it up on 'tinternet and it turns out to be a bit of a vintage from the early 70's (rather like myself), so just for the hell of it I bunged a little valve pre-amp between my bass and the FAL and connected a 1 x 15 - ooooohhhhh, very sweet indeed! - so sod the combo idea, I'm happy! - now, to sell or not to sell the v-amp

[quote name='colda' post='69904' date='Oct 5 2007, 10:53 AM']That's not even funny!

No worries though, we have a masterplan, if the're not out in a few years we're selling up and moving somewhere small and remote to get rid of 'em :)[/quote]

Doesn't work...

:huh:

Welcome!
I dont think they make that model of peavey anymore. a mate of mine has one though. nice bass!
As for replacing the hardware on your other bass, i would recommend (providing your willing to spend money) gotoh, schaller or hipshot tuners and a gotoh or perhaps (if you're feeling flash) a kahler bridge (you can have one that takes a trem. bar!)
all the best! :)
Ben