Why become a member? ×

Possible fretless conversion?

Duarte

I was thinking of converting my Bongo to fretless, which I know can be done fairly easily.

Only thing is, I thought it would be great to have an Ebony fingerboard - if that is a possible mod for someone experienced to perform?

Either that or an epoxy finish on the fingerboard, but the only places I can find to do that are in the good ole US of A.

The HS Bongo has an incredible fretless tone...I want...

Thanks

Zak

Great idea, thought of doing it to my old one. You need to know whether you want lines, and if not, bear in mind that the dots on the side and front will be between the finger positions and this can make intonation problematic. Personally I'd get a good luthier to replace the whole board with ebony.

And if you ever decide to sell it please let me know :)

Yeah I've had a fretless Ray before, unlined, and it was great - absolutely loved it. My intonation was actually pretty good! If I had the fretboard replaced, I would have lines on the side of the neck but not on the fingerboard I reckon.

Thanks for the reply man, can you recommend any good luthiers? I have no knowledge of this area at all!

[quote name='Duarte' post='631815' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:15 PM']Yeah I've had a fretless Ray before, unlined, and it was great - absolutely loved it. My intonation was actually pretty good! If I had the fretboard replaced, I would have lines on the side of the neck but not on the fingerboard I reckon.

Thanks for the reply man, can you recommend any good luthiers? I have no knowledge of this area at all![/quote]

Cool, re intonation, mine is fine with no lines or dots, fine with lines and dots in the same plane, but is less good when there are dots in the wrong place (i.e., between the fretlines) - it's amazing how much eyesight gets in the way!
I'll leave it to guys with more experience to recommend luthiers.
Good luck
Chris

[quote name='Duarte' post='631815' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:15 PM']Yeah I've had a fretless Ray before, unlined, and it was great - absolutely loved it. My intonation was actually pretty good! If I had the fretboard replaced, I would have lines on the side of the neck but not on the fingerboard I reckon.

Thanks for the reply man, can you recommend any good luthiers? I have no knowledge of this area at all![/quote]
If by 'this area' you mean Suffolk, Colin Fulton in Little Glemham is very very good and Andrew Guyton is unbelievably good, though whether he'd be interested in this job I don't know.

I'm not sure it's such a great idea though. I think a fretless bongo will have a resale value of much less than a fretted one - are they available fretless from the factory?

BTW nice to see the original Beedster avatar restored to it's rightful position!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='631867' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:04 PM']How about having a neck made to replicate the Bongo with an ebony board, lined or unlined, markers where you want them.

The only thing would be a lack of decal on the headstock. I had a similar job done not so long ago for around £200.[/quote]

Gets my vote, if it doesn't work out as a fretless instrument you still have the original
C

That is an interesting idea, but I really like the idea of just getting an ebony board on. They do come fretless from the factory, and sound absolutely wonderful. I mean, I could always save and buy one, but Ernie Ball only offer Ebony boards on basses with the 'Stealth' finish.

I'll think it through with all the options and come to a decision. Little Glemham is about a mile away from me so I'll check those guys out! Thanks

[quote name='Duarte' post='631909' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:46 PM']That is an interesting idea, but I really like the idea of just getting an ebony board on. They do come fretless from the factory, and sound absolutely wonderful. I mean, I could always save and buy one, but Ernie Ball only offer Ebony boards on basses with the 'Stealth' finish.

I'll think it through with all the options and come to a decision. Little Glemham is about a mile away from me so I'll check those guys out! Thanks[/quote]
Just about to PM you Colin's details - I doubt he'd thank me for posting 'em on the net.