Why become a member? ×

Simple Blues Progression Question

bassbloke

I'm not a blues player, but have been appreciating it as a music form more and more as I get older. I'll be growing my hair long again and wearing a pontytail and drinking real ale next.

I'm off to a blues jam night tonight, so been swotting up on my blues bass basics

I IV V
dominant 7th
boogie woogie
12 bar variations 1 and 2

Like I said, the basics.

Here is my question

All of the examples I've seen of blues lines focus on common patterns - R5R5 or R5b7 and just move the position. Is this right? So you use the same intervals regardless of the position?

Hi, if you want some bass playing to aspire to in the blues field listen to Roscoe Beck on the early Robben Ford albums, Handful Of Blues, Robben Ford And The Blue Line, Mystic Mile and Talk To Your Daughter. You could also come down to the Grey Horse in Kingston tomorrow where I'm doing the Robin Bibi blues jam.

[quote name='chris_b' post='630206' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:37 AM']Hi, if you want some bass playing to aspire to in the blues field listen to Roscoe Beck on the early Robben Ford albums, Handful Of Blues, Robben Ford And The Blue Line, Mystic Mile and Talk To Your Daughter. You could also come down to the Grey Horse in Kingston tomorrow where I'm doing the Robin Bibi blues jam.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer. I've already put in around 9 hours rehearsals in the last week or so and I'm gigging Friday and for lots of November. If I push it any more, the wife and kids will sling me out.

Do you know what the Blues Jam is like at the Elm Tree Surbiton on Monday nights? It's a 10 minute walk from home so a bunch of us are meeting there this evening.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='630211' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:43 AM']....Do you know what the Blues Jam is like at the Elm Tree Surbiton on Monday nights?....[/quote]
I haven't been but Marc and Tony seem to be doing a good job. They're enthusiastic friendly guys so it should be a good night. They do a set with a guest, I think it's Ed Hudson to night, and then the jam starts. Good luck.

[quote name='chris_b' post='630206' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:37 AM']Hi, if you want some bass playing to aspire to in the blues field listen to Roscoe Beck on the early Robben Ford albums, Handful Of Blues, Robben Ford And The Blue Line, Mystic Mile and Talk To Your Daughter. You could also come down to the Grey Horse in Kingston tomorrow where I'm doing the Robin Bibi blues jam.[/quote]

Roscoe Beck FTW