Why become a member? ×

Nailing your colours to the mast

henry norton

The time has come - I've played bass since the age of 17 (nearly 23 years), I've played double on and off for the last 19. I've now decided there is only room for one instrument in my life as I can't afford the extravagance of having essentially two different instruments and the associated paraphernalia around the house. I'm in the middle of a barn conversion, looking after 3 kids, running a classic motorcycle and trying to learn a new language. It frightens me to even think about it...

Life's getting a bit complicated now so I've decided to give up on the DB completely and concentrate on electric (it won't wake the kids up if I practice with headphones and can be hung on the wall, out of the way from jammy fingers). I feel like I'm closing the book on a big part of my life doing this and I feel rather sad but also somewhat liberated. I don't mean laughing at people struggling with DB's on the tube but more like I can walk allot further along the bass guitar path if I know the double bass isn't there to lure me away.

It's a weird feeling though, good and bad.

The double bass is the best instrument I have ever owned, bar none. I wanted one for 15yrs which I can't say about any of the other instruments I've owned. However it is horrendous to cart around and it confuses 99% of soundmen. Your decision is definately a head verses heart decision and I can understand it. But I sympathise too.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='629092' date='Oct 17 2009, 11:09 PM']The double bass is the best instrument I have ever owned, bar none. I wanted one for 15yrs which I can't say about any of the other instruments I've owned. However it is horrendous to cart around and it confuses 99% of soundmen. Your decision is definately a head verses heart decision and I can understand it. But I sympathise too.[/quote]
Thanks for the replies and yes it is a head versus heart decision although space and transport aren't the big decider once you take into account amps, cabs, gig bags and stuff. In some ways losing the fretted, fretless, short scale, amp, cabs etc. would make things simpler - just a DB sitting in the corner is very tempting but I've had to decide between one and the other and the bass guitar just won out. It's a close thing though, soooo close.

Switching to upright changed my life, putting me on the path to become a professional musician - an ambition cherished since childhood.

I've hardly touched my Ric 4001 and EB3 in 15 years - I can only recall one gig on electric, when the upright was in need of repair (neck came off after busking on a very hot day - glue just became too brittle and the strings pulled it off).

I do have a CR4M, which I've started to use at home, and have a hankering for a [url="http://www.kalaukulele.com/Ubass_Details.html"]U-Bass[/url], but the acoustic upright will always be my instrument of choice.