Why become a member? ×

putting active bass into high gain

woolz

[quote name='woolz' post='624560' date='Oct 12 2009, 11:16 PM']does anyone here do this? to me it sounds better- dont know if its just the huge increase in db but it sounds clearer to me. not sure on the damages either to the amp by doing this?[/quote]

The only thing the other input does is apply a -10db or -20db pad. I'm not quite sure if the pad affects the signal in any way other than just reducing the overall level but I have a funny feeling it does.

Yeah, sorry, it has gone quiet... tends to happen when I'm gigging.

Look, I really don't care if you want to beat me up with technical stuff but I live in the real world and I have been there done that with clipping. The rattling sound I refer to is the sound of the windings catching inside the armature of the speaker. Two separate occasions, different rigs, into a JBL 12" (4x12) and a Volt 8" (2x8 midrange). I was only trying to pass on my experience to others but if you think I'm wrong, I can live with that. At the end of the day I will do what I do and protect my sound, which is very important to me.

[quote name='Mateybass' post='631028' date='Oct 20 2009, 01:34 AM']The rattling sound I refer to is the sound of the windings catching inside the armature of the speaker.[/quote]

That's the result of a toasted voice coil, which is caused by too much continuous power. Doesn't matter if it's clean power or dirty power - in fact the only toasted voice coil I've had was from too much clean power.

[quote name='Mateybass' post='626219' date='Oct 14 2009, 05:42 PM']Speakers have an RMS rating for wattage. This presumes a sinewave.[/quote]

Actually it doesn't. The rating is done using a bandwidth limited pink noise signal (typically 50-500Hz for a woofer) with a 6dB crest factor. A speaker rated at 200W has handled an average power of 200W for a number of hours, with peaks of up to 800W.

Alex