Why become a member? ×

Light Cab Vs Heavey Cab

fenderiko

[quote name='alexclaber' post='623160' date='Oct 11 2009, 03:19 PM']I'm suggesting that if it doesn't have a pre-1980 brandname most guitarists won't touch it - unless their hero endorses it. Look at all the boutique basses out there (even if lots look like Fenders) - and then look at what guitarists spend their money on. Not saying they're wrong, just somewhat blinkered.

Alex[/quote]

I disagree .
I have the feeling that you need to speak, play , hear and interact with more guitar players.

R

[quote name='fenderiko' post='623194' date='Oct 11 2009, 10:59 AM']I disagree .
I have the feeling that you need to speak, play , hear and interact with more guitar players.

R[/quote]I play both guitar and bass, so I can speak on both sides of that great divide. For whatever reason I see a much higher percentage of guitar players falling into the "If Jimi/Eric/Stevie Ray (fill in your favorite Guitar God name) used it then that's what I need" mindset than bass players. OTOH I also agree that the technology of electric guitar peaked circa 1959, and that you can't get a better tone than a '59 Tobacco Burst or Strat through a '59 Bassman. Where the epitome of electric bass technology is concerned we haven't reached it yet.

[quote name='fenderiko' post='623194' date='Oct 11 2009, 03:59 PM']I disagree .

I have the feeling that you need to speak, play , hear and interact with more guitar players.[/quote]

I said most, not all. I've encountered plenty of exceptions - but many more clichés. Flick through a guitar magazine and then a bass magazine and you can see how differently the markets are skewed.

Alex

I got back into gigging this year so missed the introduction of lightweight gear, when I went to buy a new rig the shop suggested mark bass gear.

I was'nt ready for it, and thought, because I now am only playing covers in pubs etc, I would'nt need a decent rig, so I brought an ashdown mag setup which after 1 gig I was unhappy with so I traded it for a mark bass head

I then borrowed a Zoot 212 lightweight Cab, and was not happy with that either, it just lacked something

Under pressure to continue to gig, I brought 2 orange cabs, which I knew would be fantastic, but they are heavy

The 410 stays at practice room and 115 goes most other places

Both cabs together are overkill volume wise, but they do together produce an amazing tone and punch that sits well from all angles (I lent it to another band one night and was very impressed when wondering around the venue)

So I guess I really need a barefaced cab based on what I have read here, happy to be talked into one, but it would have to sound as good as the heavy gear i currently have

I may lose a bit of cash on this journey, but hope soon I will have a rig that I will be very pleased with and will see me through latter life!

[quote name='lojo' post='623240' date='Oct 11 2009, 05:13 PM']I got back into gigging this year so missed the introduction of lightweight gear, when I went to buy a new rig the shop suggested mark bass gear.

I was'nt ready for it, and thought, because I now am only playing covers in pubs etc, I would'nt need a decent rig, so I brought an ashdown mag setup which after 1 gig I was unhappy with so I traded it for a mark bass head

I then borrowed a Zoot 212 lightweight Cab, and was not happy with that either, it just lacked something

Under pressure to continue to gig, I brought 2 orange cabs, which I knew would be fantastic, but they are heavy

The 410 stays at practice room and 115 goes most other places

Both cabs together are overkill volume wise, but they do together produce an amazing tone and punch that sits well from all angles (I lent it to another band one night and was very impressed when wondering around the venue)

So I guess I really need a barefaced cab based on what I have read here, happy to be talked into one, but it would have to sound as good as the heavy gear i currently have

I may lose a bit of cash on this journey, but hope soon I will have a rig that I will be very pleased with and will see me through latter life![/quote]

Im glad you like the Orange cabs. If you feed them with a tube amp, or something with a quality tube-pre, you will love them even more.

I have to say, ive tried lighter cabs, and Ive liked them. But, the weight/size difference wasnt enough for me, unless you are talking about the larger cabinets, like a 4x10. The Orange 4x10 is sooo heavy, but that 1x15 isnt that bad (65lbs), and its quite 'compact' compared to others ive used. The size is a massive part of what bugs me with cabinets, not so much the weight.

I will end up with a lightweight setup in time, but Ill also be keeping my traditional cabinets.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='623286' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:17 PM']Im glad you like the Orange cabs. If you feed them with a tube amp, or something with a quality tube-pre, you will love them even more.[/quote]

I am keeping my MB head in mint condition with the idea of trading it when the tiny terror comes out

In the meantime if a Ad200 comes up at the right price

Edited by lojo