Why become a member? ×

Strings for NS WAV4

EssentialTension

My WAV4 still has its factory fitted strings (I believe). I'd like to try some new ones but I'm not sure what to choose or how to choose.

I'm playing pizzicato (although I might get a bow at some point) in an amplified acoustic band doing a mix of blues, country, and folk, sometimes with a jazzy feel.

I'd like to sound as much like an upright as possible and less like a fretless bass guitar.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='TheRev' post='613228' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:06 PM']For a more uprighty tone you need to lean towards hybrid or orchestral strings or synthetic core.

Obligatos might work well, Velvet compas would work very well but at £350 a set, it's an expensive experiment.[/quote]
OK, thanks for that (well, not the £350 set :) )

Would the Obligatos be these? - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/pirastro_obligato_kontrabasssaiten.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/pirastro_obligato...abasssaiten.htm[/url]

But let's hear some more suggestions please.

And would I need 3/4 rather than 4/4 for the WAV4?

Bob Gollihur's site has a huge amount of advice on all things upright. His product descriptions are really detailed, and he has this to say about the WAV 4 strings:

[i]The stock strings are a light gauge steel that serve as a reasonably decent hybrid sort of sound, but the instrument responds well and can handle most standard 3/4 size upright bass strings. I and others report good success with strings such as the Pirastro Obligatos, which are a popular, heavier gauge upright bass string that delivers a more traditional sound, with less sustain and more body than the stock strings. Keep in mind, however, that the tuning machines are similar to bass guitar tuners, so very heavy gauge strings (like the Eurosonics) typically cannot be accommodated. However, since the pickups are piezo-based, which sense vibration, most any 3/4 size upright bass string can be a candidate. They designed the rear control cover that allows you route the excess string around the bottom of the bass and anchor them in keyholes. [/i]

Just the info you need methinks?!

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='613435' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:27 PM']Bob Gollihur's site has a huge amount of advice on all things upright. His product descriptions are really detailed, and he has this to say about the WAV 4 strings:

[i]The stock strings are a light gauge steel that serve as a reasonably decent hybrid sort of sound, but the instrument responds well and can handle most standard 3/4 size upright bass strings. I and others report good success with strings such as the Pirastro Obligatos, which are a popular, heavier gauge upright bass string that delivers a more traditional sound, with less sustain and more body than the stock strings. Keep in mind, however, that the tuning machines are similar to bass guitar tuners, so very heavy gauge strings (like the Eurosonics) typically cannot be accommodated. However, since the pickups are piezo-based, which sense vibration, most any 3/4 size upright bass string can be a candidate. They designed the rear control cover that allows you route the excess string around the bottom of the bass and anchor them in keyholes. [/i]

Just the info you need methinks?!

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]
Very good, thanks for that.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='613216' date='Sep 30 2009, 07:50 PM']Any suggestions?[/quote]

I've used Pirastro Flexocor and Helicore Hybrid strings on my WAV4 - both worked well, with the Flexocors being the darker/thumpier of the two.

If you want the instrument to sound like a double bass make sure you have it working in "arco" mode using the selector switch - "pizz" just sounds like a fretless bass guitar.

Jennifer

One caveat that must go with Bob Golihur's advice is when he says [b]"most any 3/4 size upright bass string can be a candidate"[/b] certainly not all 3/4 strings will fit NS basses. Thomastic Spirocors for example do not fit. They are too short. Always check the playing length before you buy.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='endorka' post='613476' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:27 AM']I've used Pirastro Flexocor and Helicore Hybrid strings on my WAV4 - both worked well, with the Flexocors being the darker/thumpier of the two.

If you want the instrument to sound like a double bass make sure you have it working in "arco" mode using the selector switch - "pizz" just sounds like a fretless bass guitar.

Jennifer[/quote]
Thanks Jennifer.

I knew about the 'arco' trick.

Someone told me the factory strings were a version of Helicore Hybrids. Can anyone confirm that?

[quote name='BassBus' post='613980' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:54 PM']One caveat that must go with Bob Golihur's advice is when he says [b]"most any 3/4 size upright bass string can be a candidate"[/b] certainly not all 3/4 strings will fit NS basses. Thomastic Spirocors for example do not fit. They are too short. Always check the playing length before you buy.[/quote]
Ah, good, thanks for that too.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='614138' date='Oct 1 2009, 07:24 PM']Thanks Jennifer.

I knew about the 'arco' trick.

Someone told me the factory strings were a version of Helicore Hybrids. Can anyone confirm that?[/quote]

It's been a long time since I used the factory strings, so not definitively, but from memory they were different. Perhaps the Helicores are supplied on the high end basses?

Jennifer

I have a CR4M but I'm not aware that it came with Helicore Hybrids. Could be wrong though. It would certainly benefit from darker strings. Even in arco mode it's not DBish enough for me. But then they were not designed to be a replacement for DB.

Edited by BassBus