Why become a member? ×

Does Anyone Know The Exact DBX 160 Compressor Steve Harris Uses?

StevieD_FenderP2009

Hi guys

I've been searching for ages for which model of the DBX 160 Compressor Steve Harris (Iron Maiden Bassist) uses in his rig as i know whichever one it is he uses is really good as he spoke about the components of his rig in an interview once and said the compressor really helped boost the power of his whole sound

So far, ive seen that there's a DBX 160A, 160X, 160XT and a 160 tube compressor (I don't know if this was one of the previous ones i mentioned)

Reason is, I need a compressor to boost the high end of my sound up a little bit as it's not to great on any of my basses (Fender P w/ SD SPB-3 and Tobias Toby Pro 4 Active) as i do like to flick up and down the octave range on my bass for solos etc

So if anyone could help me on this one it would be great.
Also, if anyones got any advise at all on naturally boosting the strength of the signal from the G string on my basses that would be great too

Cheers guys!

Stevie Dewar

For what it's worth, there's not a huge difference between the A, X and XT. The A is the more recent model, which had some small component changes but was basically a redesign to make manufacturing easier. The front panel components seem a bit 'cheaper' than the older ones too, but apparently there's not a great deal of difference in sound.

I've used the 160X in the studio plenty of times and it's a cracking compressor. There's apparently not much between the X and the XT, I think one has XLR outputs and the other doesn't, I'm not sure if much else was changed.

You might notice the difference in the studio, but in a bass rig any of those three will do the job.

There isn't a tube model that I'm aware of, unless there's some squeezed into the original 1970's 160 (sometimes called the 160VU), that's a little half-rack thing with a big VU meter, also sounds the business, but more expensive and not something I'd want to bounce around my gigging rack.