Why become a member? ×

What's my P Bass worth?

tredders

Hi all

Thinking of selling my P bass. It's a 1997/98 USA model, which I bought a couple of years ago from OldGit on here. It's butterscotch in colour (or "custard" as OG called it!), and has a rosewood fretboard. It's got a tort scratchplate on (with a small part which just bloody snapped off as I was unplugging it to take pics!). I've got the small snapped-off bit, as well as the original black scratchplate, too, which will be included. Last year, I got a SD Quarterpounders professionally fitted, which has provided a better range of sounds, and I've also got the original Fender ones, too, which will be included. Comes with a Fender hardcase, as shown in the pics. Oh, and I've just put some fresh Rotosound flats on it a week ago, too.

One small issue is the marking at the back of the neck. I've taken a macro photo of this, to highlight it. It was like this when I bought it, and absolutely doesn't get in the way when playing, but I wanted to highlight it anyway.

I'm thinking of listing this in the For Sale section (or trade against a vintage P Bass or something else "nice"), but I have absolutely no idea what it's worth. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Oh, and no "Hmm, it's worth about £50, I'll take it off your hands" type posts - I may look stupid, but I'm not quite that dumb. Well, maybe, but you know what I mean :)

Cheers

Mark.

[attachment=33645:Pbass1.jpg]
[attachment=33646:Pbass2.jpg]
[attachment=33647:Pbass3.jpg]
[attachment=33648:PBass4.jpg]
[attachment=33649:PBass5.jpg]
[attachment=33650:PBass6.jpg]

[quote name='acidbass' post='611146' date='Sep 28 2009, 07:22 PM']I'd estimate £5-600 for a straight sale. Lovely bass by the way![/quote]

Thanks. You know, it really is a lovely bass. OldGit told me it was a lovely bass. Funkmunky played it and said it was a lovely bass. SO WHY THE HELL DON'T I GET ON WITH IT? Aaaaarggggghhh!

[quote name='stinson' post='611156' date='Sep 28 2009, 07:34 PM']Yep, wack the old scratchplate on and you could achieve £500 upwards for it.[/quote]
+1 - chuck the broken one in the bin.

You probably won't get anything extra with the basslines pup installed, so it might be worthwhile to put the original back in as well & sell the quarter pounder separately

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='611297' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:22 PM']+1 - chuck the broken one in the bin.

You probably won't get anything extra with the basslines pup installed, so it might be worthwhile to put the original back in as well & sell the quarter pounder separately[/quote]

Yep, I've put the original pickguard back on now - it's actually white (not black like I thought it was), and looks ace!

Might well stick this on the For Sale section in the next day or two - sounds like £500 - £600 is the going rate...

Cheers

Mark.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='611377' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:31 PM']I'd keep it man unless you really aren't playing it. That's a fine bass, as nice as P basses come.[/quote]

I know, I know... I should really keep it. However, I've never really taken to this one (for a reason I can't put my finger on) and it's all been made worse by me playing FunkMunkey's '69 P bass a week or two ago. I'm now in love (or obsessed!) with that and want to try to get something a little more vintage.

It actually looks great with the white scratchplate on, too...