Why become a member? ×

ACG Recurve 5 fretless

BottomEndian

Well, I've got to the point now where I feel like I know what I want from a custom bass. So I've taken the plunge and put in an order with Alan as my 30th-birthday treat to myself. The spec ([b]edited 5/8/10 after some changes[/b] :) ):

Recurve body (standard, not singlecut)
5 strings, [s]34"[/s] 33" scale unlined fretless
Body: black limba with centre laminate of wenge/black limba/wenge
Neck: 5-piece wenge/black limba/wenge/black limba/wenge with black limba on front & back of headstock
Fingerboard: acrylic-impregnated macassar ebony, flat (infinite radius)
Finish: oil-rubbed satin
Black hardware
[s]2 x RFB pickups (ceramic at bridge, alnico at neck) with series/single-coil/parallel switching for each[/s]
1 x RFS triple-coil pickup, switchable humbucker/triple-coil/single-coil
Piezo bridge [s](switchable with ceramic pickup)[/s]
[s]Hipshot Xtender on B-string[/s]
ACG EQ01 preamp
Low-battery indicator

I went up to visit Alan on Monday with all these preconceptions about what I wanted in terms of woods and finishes. After a couple of hours looking through woods and talking about the options, I ended up with a much simpler spec, which I think will look much nicer and I'll be much happier with in the long-term.

The inspiration for the change of mind was coming across this piece of limba:
[attachment=33511:Limba.jpg]
Because of the way the tree's grown and the timber's been cut, there's a huge difference between the front and back of the piece -- it essentially looks like black limba on the front and white limba on the back. The black grain only extends an inch or so into the depth of the wood. So the bass will kind of look like it's got a top, even though it's one piece front to back. The top half of the body's outlined in white at the top of the photo. The bottom half is outlined in black down the bottom (you can make some of it out) -- ignore the white outline down there. Because the wood can't be bookmatched, there'll be a really obvious join down the centre, so I've decided to make a feature of it with a narrow laminate stripe (wenge/black limba/wenge) down the middle -- only about 8mm total width, but it should look sweeeeet.

And here's the board:
[attachment=33512:Mac_ebony.jpg]
Just a nice, simple piece of macassar ebony. The light's not great in this photo. It's not completely plain, but it's not overly stripy like some bits of mac ebony can be. Alan's got a really tempting bit of mango for a fingerboard, but it would have clashed horribly with the body.

So all in all, it'll be quite an understated bass, but with acres of tonal flexibility. I'll update here as the months go on, for those of you who are interested. Personally, I'm excited, but it's a little bit tempered by the long wait I know is in store...

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='609121' date='Sep 26 2009, 11:32 AM']Nice? Very :rolleyes:

Simple? Hmmm....

:lol:[/quote]
Well, I guess not. :lol:

The original idea was all trans-black bursts and quilted maple tops. Then I saw that bit of limba, and everything was immediately much simpler. :wub:

And looking through Alan's drawers of current orders was quite an experience. There are some people with very strong backs out there, if the presence of cocobolo is anything to go by. :)

[quote name='mike_zimmerman' post='610530' date='Sep 28 2009, 12:28 AM']I love it when builders (and their customers) take care to bring all the different visual elements of an instrument together, especially the woods. Limba and wenge are a nice match, and I think this is going to be a wonderful, elegant instrument!

Mike[/quote]

Agreed and apologies for going off-thread but what happened to the ACG area under affiliates?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='611572' date='Sep 29 2009, 01:37 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61813"]Behold the fallout and mayhem.[/url][/quote]

I can adjust now that I see the Affiliates Market. Now let's see some more of this bass and hopefully mine soon.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After buying a stock Skelf and falling completely in love with it, the Recurve build's now re-specced to 33" scale and a flat fingerboard (previously 34" scale and 16" radius, IIRC). Both those aspects of the Skelf feel [i]so[/i] right, so it makes sense to keep the two the same.

Otherwise I'll switch between the two and my intonation will go to sh*t. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='844015' date='May 21 2010, 12:20 PM']After buying a stock Skelf and falling completely in love with it, the Recurve build's now re-specced to 33" scale and a flat fingerboard (previously 34" scale and 16" radius, IIRC). Both those aspects of the Skelf feel [i]so[/i] right, so it makes sense to keep the two the same.

Otherwise I'll switch between the two and my intonation will go to sh*t. :)[/quote]

Nice :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Neck blank, third from top:

...or third from right:

Really liking the way the centre piece of wenge is noticeably different in colour from the outer pieces. Beautiful.

Interesting shots anyway. Those padauk ones are loooovely. Whoever Mark is, that's a big ol' neck he's got there (6-string? 7-string?). And Joshua's got very similar tastes to me.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='882056' date='Jun 30 2010, 03:36 PM']You notice there are no names on them? That means Alan's making some stock basses. Wallets at the ready, people.[/quote]

I wish my wallet was deep enough...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='eude' post='901585' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:25 AM']Unlined fretless terrifies me though...[/quote]
Me too... kind of... but I barely look down as it is, so I thought, "Why bother interrupting the board with lines I don't need?"

Besides which, I'm not mad enough to eschew side dots. [i]Yet[/i]. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='901592' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:33 AM']Me too... kind of... but I barely look down as it is, so I thought, "Why bother interrupting the board with lines I don't need?"

Besides which, I'm not mad enough to eschew side dots. [i]Yet[/i]. :)[/quote]

Ha ha!
Yeah, the side dots are more than necessary...
I used to play an unlined fretless 6er an age ago, and I got on OK, but had no other basses at the time so I just had to.
I guess I could get back in that mode, but I'd need a lot of practice!
I am intending to get a fretless bass next though, so I might man up and do it properly :rolleyes:

Eude