Why become a member? ×

Replacing a fan & a pre amp valve in an old Trace. HELP !

weepaul

Greetings,

I've got a Trace AH 600smx and the fan sounds well knackered, sounds like the bearings have gone.
The fan is made by a company called Papst and I think the part no. is 4318.
Has anyone had any similar probs ?

Plus, is it a straight swap when replacing a preamp valve ? or does anything need done ? tweaked ?

Many,many thanks.

Paul.

As long as the valve is the same type then it's a straight swap. Electroharmonix should be good enough.

When removing the valve you might have to "wiggle" it slightly from side to side to release it. Don't wiggle too much, though.

When replacing the valve, note that the base is "keyed" - it can only fit one way. There is usually a "missing pin" on the valve bottom that matches up to a blank on the base - make sure these line up. You shouldn't have to force the valve in. Provided it's lined up correctly a firm push will seat it ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone, the amp goes under the soldering iron tomorrow.
Got the fan off Ebay for under £10 all in.
Was wondering if there is anyway I can check if the new fan is working o.k. afterwards ?
My cabs are in the practice place, and I heard if you turn on an amp not connected up it can do some serious damage.
There is a mute switch on the front and 2 volume controls on the back of the amp, if these are turned down would any damage be done ?
Its just to check everythings fine.

Cheers.

My AH300smx ran for ages into no load during a recording session- I needed the DI out!!
IIRC the mute cuts the signal from the Pre stage to the power and also the signal to the DI. The Tuner out will still work - so you can tune up silently.
The rear "volume" controls are probably (again, from memory) for FX loop level. I'd have thought the other is for crossover frequency. The 600 is a stereo model, right?