Why become a member? ×

Recomend me a fretless

TDM

The title says it all. The only bass I can think of at the moment is a Warwick corvette FL. I played one at a guitar show a while back and it sounded huge (might have been the amp though) but I'm not a huge fan of the corvette shape. The ebony fingerboard felt amazing.

Max budget ~£500?

I built a fretless precision bitzer using a sunburst alder Brandoni body & quartersawn maple neck with unlined ebony board. It was easy to put together and all the bits were within your budget. Although the resale value is probably next to nothing, I think it is easily as good as something a lot more expensive.

There was I nice green lined corvette fretless went on here a few weeks back for around £400. That was a 'custom' finish so I think it managed slightly above average.

I've got an Overwater Perception with unlined ebony which I got lucky on as it came in at <£600. I think if you are prepared to wait a month or so something will crop up on here or the bay for your money.

Regarding ebonol/ebony. I think the Squier VMJ FL has an ebnol board - felt alot like my old Status Graphite necked fretless. Nice feel, but to me doesn't have the 'warmth' of ebony. I could get the mwah but it didn't come as easily or naturally as on ebony or rosewood - a bit more clattery. Regarding durability If its like my old Status I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem but I always used flats.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='606755' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:46 PM']I just missed a fretless corvette on the Bay actually, it went for ~£300 I think. I think I'll probably get a fretless neck for my Jazz.

Does anybody know how Ebanol compares to Ebony in terms of feel and durability?[/quote]
I put a Mighty Mite ebanol fretless neck on a Jap Fender Jazz Bass Special last year. I sold it to a chap on here who loved it. I loved it too. I only sold it because I felt I needed an active bass, ie. the Warwick. I can't recommend the MM Ebanol/maple neck highly enough, it was absolutely lovely, especially with the Schaller lightweight tuners I put on it.