Why become a member? ×

What lightweight, portable 1x12 or 1x15 cab?

Linus27

I have a superb Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and Genz Benz NEO 212. I can't fault them but the cab still require two hands to carry it due to it being fairly tall. Its light and has casters but you can't get away with carrying it in one hand.

So, for the smaller gigs, I am thinking about getting a 1x12 or 1x15 that is light, powerful (around 300W 8 ohms ) and can be carried with one hand. Idealy, I would like to be able to have my bass over my shoulder in gig bag, the shuttle 6 in the gig bag and the cab in one hand. Lightweight and portable basically.

Price is also an issue. I would look at the Genz Benz NEO 112 but they are about £500 and I believe still fairly chunky compared to other 1x12 cabs.

So, what are my options for a lightweight 1x12 or 1x15 that I can carry in one hand?

Sorry, but I don't understand why you would want to change a cab you really like just to be able to make 1 trip from the car instead of 2! If you get a 112 you'll be looking for another before you've done too many gigs anyway!

I'd get a trolley for the 212.

[quote name='chris_b' post='604930' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:27 PM']Sorry, but I don't understand why you would want to change a cab you really like just to be able to make 1 trip from the car instead of 2! If you get a 112 you'll be looking for another before you've done too many gigs anyway!

I'd get a trolley for the 212.[/quote]

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I will be keeping the GB 212 for most gigs where I can use it. However some gig it would be handy to just take a 112, for example some London gigs etc or much smaller gigs. The 212 will not be going anywhere :)

Hmmmm

Ive had the same thoughts as you for a longgggg time.

I would definitely keep your 2x12, as those Genz cabs are pretty damn fine.

With a 1x15, no matter how 'small' and light, its still not as small as I wanted. Unless you go for the Schroeder 15+L. My Orange 1x15 is a fairly good size, but still for some types of gigs/home practice, its too much!

The Aguilar DB and GS 1x12s are not light, but very easy to move. They weigh approx 45lbs max. Not light for a 1x12, but they pack a punch. I love the DB series cabs....much more to them than I ever expected.

But, I still want a 1x12.

Id definitely consider saving and going for Epifani or Bergantino. I think the Aguilars are more reasonably priced though.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='605011' date='Sep 21 2009, 09:28 PM']Hmmmm

Ive had the same thoughts as you for a longgggg time.

I would definitely keep your 2x12, as those Genz cabs are pretty damn fine.

With a 1x15, no matter how 'small' and light, its still not as small as I wanted. Unless you go for the Schroeder 15+L. My Orange 1x15 is a fairly good size, but still for some types of gigs/home practice, its too much!

The Aguilar DB and GS 1x12s are not light, but very easy to move. They weigh approx 45lbs max. Not light for a 1x12, but they pack a punch. I love the DB series cabs....much more to them than I ever expected.

But, I still want a 1x12.

Id definitely consider saving and going for Epifani or Bergantino. I think the Aguilars are more reasonably priced though.[/quote]

The Aguilar GS 1x12 seems interesting and quite a good price. You say its heavy but I think its 37lbs and not 45lbs.

The Epifani would be lush but expensive :)

The Bareface Midget also seems interesting but not seen any pictures or reviews of it yet.

I have owned a Compact, and still own an Aggie GS112nt.

Both are an easy 'one hand carry'.
The Compact is bigger, but lighter than the Aggie.

I couldn't use either as a standalone cab in my band.
.....although I can get a nice mellow sound out of the Aggie when I back my son, who plays accoustic guitar and sings.

Personally, I wouldn't compromise my tone for an extra trip to the car.

[quote name='Linus27' post='604901' date='Sep 21 2009, 02:55 PM']Price is also an issue. I would look at the Genz Benz NEO 112 but they are about £500 and I believe still fairly chunky compared to other 1x12 cabs.[/quote]If you plan on using the 112 and 212 together for the big gigs the best result will come from another GB. Make sure it's twice the impedance of the 212. As to the cab size, low end output and cab size are directly related. If you compromise on the one you'll compromise on the other.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='605626' date='Sep 22 2009, 02:34 PM']If you plan on using the 112 and 212 together for the big gigs the best result will come from another GB. Make sure it's twice the impedance of the 212. As to the cab size, low end output and cab size are directly related. If you compromise on the one you'll compromise on the other.[/quote]

No the plan was just to use it on its own as the 212 with Shuttle 6 kicks out 600w and that should be enough.

[quote name='Linus27' post='605722' date='Sep 22 2009, 10:58 AM']600w ...should be enough.[/quote]The power output of an amp and power handling of a cab are not directly related to the sound levels you can get from them. Also, the thermal rating of the cab doesn't indicate how much power it can actually make use of. In the case of the GB 212 it might be able to take 300 watts before reaching the excursion limits of the drivers, and that's a generous estimate. So don't assume that you'll never need to run more than the 212; you're a lot better off assuming that at some point you will and plan accordingly.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='605891' date='Sep 22 2009, 05:48 PM']The power output of an amp and power handling of a cab are not directly related to the sound levels you can get from them. Also, the thermal rating of the cab doesn't indicate how much power it can actually make use of. In the case of the GB 212 it might be able to take 300 watts before reaching the excursion limits of the drivers, and that's a generous estimate. So don't assume that you'll never need to run more than the 212; you're a lot better off assuming that at some point you will and plan accordingly.[/quote]

Bill

How do you rate the Bergantino Neo line...mainly the AE112?

Thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='605921' date='Sep 22 2009, 01:23 PM']Bill

Thanks[/quote]I don't rate any lines. What I will say is that of all the dozens of bass reflex cabs loaded with a variation of the Eminence Deltalite II 2512 driver out there the AE112 is one of them.

[quote]....Bill
Thanks....[/quote]
[quote]....I don't rate any lines. What I will say is that of all the dozens of bass reflex cabs loaded with a variation of the Eminence Deltalite II 2512 driver out there the AE112 is one of them....[/quote]
Ha, ha, did you really expect to get a considered opinion about a competitor’s product?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='606034' date='Sep 22 2009, 08:00 PM']....So what do you think as a user of AE112s?....[/quote]
I’m not technical but I know what I hear and I don’t think you can beat a Bergantino cab. I use the AE112 with my acoustic duo where I need to get a full, yet punchy tone at very low volume and it works every time. There's no woolly or muddy bass in these cabs and the clarity of every note is scary!

I add the AE210 for louder gigs and the two combined have everything, from easy load in to a fat, loud and punchy tone with every note clearly defined. Every band I have played with since getting these cabs has complimented me on my sound! If an AE410 came up I’d grab it or another AE210, but right now I feel that I’m pretty close to the end of my amplification journey.