Why become a member? ×

Just seen a great way to set neck relief. Lakland set up.

dave_bass5

Why did you not keep going down to .008? Thats what Lakland recommend.
The straighter the neck the lower you can bring the saddles down, although Carl does say if its buzzing below the 6th fret you need more relief.
It is just a guide though and it will depend on how hard you play.

Could your neck already be shimmed? Maybe if it is take out the shim.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='718733' date='Jan 20 2010, 09:15 AM']Why did you not keep going down to .008? Thats what Lakland recommend.
The straighter the neck the lower you can bring the saddles down.
It is just a guide though and it will depend on how hard you play.

Could your neck already be shimmed? Maybe if it is take out the shim.[/quote]

Surely if I kept straightening the neck the buzz at the 1st and 2nd would get worse? Forgive my ignorance!

[quote name='danweb22' post='718725' date='Jan 20 2010, 09:10 AM']....I followed the video to do a setup on my Bob Glaub Skyline. I put a straight edge across the nut and 12th fret and used some feeler gauges to check at the 6th fret. There was a massive gap....[/quote]
I hope I’ve understood you correctly, but if you put the ruler on [i]top[/i] of the nut you'd get a big gap because the top of the nut is at least half way up the thickness of the string!

Edit: Shouldn't you be measuring from the bottom of the string?

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='danweb22' post='718736' date='Jan 20 2010, 09:22 AM']Surely if I kept straightening the neck the buzz at the 1st and 2nd would get worse? Forgive my ignorance![/quote]

Yes your right but if your saddles are almost maxed out then something isnt right and i would be inclined to get it all within Laklands spec and then adjust from there.
Ive also just read your post and if you are putting the ruler on the nut then you aren't doing it right.

The ruler should be on the first fret and at least touching the 12th fret.

Chris. The strings are of no importance at this stage if using a 18" straight edge, as in the video.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='718746' date='Jan 20 2010, 09:31 AM']The ruler should be on the first fret and at least touching the 12th fret.[/quote]

So the straight edge should be on the 1st fret NOT the nut?? This makes more sense to me but in the video it looks like Carl has it on the nut and I'm sure he says he puts it on the nut (unless he means up against the side not the top?) Argggh! :)

[quote name='danweb22' post='718961' date='Jan 20 2010, 01:27 PM']So the straight edge should be on the 1st fret NOT the nut?? This makes more sense to me but in the video it looks like Carl has it on the nut and I'm sure he says he puts it on the nut (unless he means up against the side not the top?) Argggh! :)[/quote]

Yes, the first fret. I must admit it does look like he might be putting it on the nut but he isn't.

Good luck.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='danweb22' post='719010' date='Jan 20 2010, 01:55 PM']thanks Dave, your a savior![/quote]

No problem.

This set up guide really helped me. I could never figure out loose the feeler gauge should be under the string doing it that way. no wi just check for any rocking.
Of course, it helps that for me, the Lakland measurements are ideal.

Thats a very nice and straightforward tuition video

doesnt work very well if you have any of the precision variants with the truss rod sdjuster at the base of the neck where you have to take the ....... neck off to adjust it

Also there were some nice clips of the questions sent in to Dan shown alongside