Why become a member? ×

Tech Soundsystems Black Cat 2x500 watt amp

warwickhunt

I'm seriously unable to decide whether to sell my Thunderfunk or Tech amp so I've decided to put a feeler out to see what interest there might be in the Tech amp. I'm not trying to mess Chris_b about who has said that he'll take the TF but I need to see if there would be any interest in this amp before deciding (tone wise I can't split them). It has 6 Speakon outputs that deliver 1000watts into 8 ohms or 2 x 500 watts into 4 ohms each side (effectively you can drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers @ 500 watts each side). 3 valve preamp with passive tone controls, these really only come into there own when you start to drive either/and/or the front end and/or the output! I can supply better pics as and when I can find where the missus has hidden the camera. If you need any info send me a PM or look on the Tecamp or Tech Soundsystems websites.

Cheers

John

I think features wise I would gravitate towards the TF.. but I haven't heard the black cat in comparison. From a power output point of view, the BC gets the vote though.

Tough one there! They are definitely two amps I would love to try out with my gear, certainly!

[quote name='dood' post='64123' date='Sep 22 2007, 06:47 PM']I think features wise I would gravitate towards the TF.. but I haven't heard the black cat in comparison. From a power output point of view, the BC gets the vote though.

Tough one there! They are definitely two amps I would love to try out with my gear, certainly![/quote]

There you have it!

The TF has more potential tone control (though the Tech comes into its own as the volume/gain are increased) BUT I have never ever needed to use the parametric tone controls on the TF, I run it flat with tweaks of the filters. The Tech has more potential output BUT I run a single 6x10 6 ohm cab off it so I will never utilise the extra power, The TF gives me exactly the same output!

Hey Dood if you were close enough or just happened to be visiting you'd be more than welcome to blast through them (I have access to a private rehearsal space day or night). I can only begin to imagine the possibilities with both of our 6x10's and a 2x500watt output :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='64172' date='Sep 22 2007, 08:25 PM']I can vouch for the Black Cat - I've gigged this very amp and it sounded splendid.[/quote]

Cheers!

For more info there's one available on eBay that gives the stat's

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECAMP-BLACKCAT-NUR-8-5-KG-2-x-500-WATT-B-WARE_W0QQitemZ170147761628QQihZ007QQcategoryZ114449QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECAMP-BLACKCAT-NUR-...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='64133' date='Sep 22 2007, 07:06 PM']Hey Dood if you were close enough or just happened to be visiting you'd be more than welcome to blast through them (I have access to a private rehearsal space day or night). I can only begin to imagine the possibilities with both of our 6x10's and a 2x500watt output :)[/quote]

I think you'd need to surgically remove me from one of the amps eventually! - I think I'm a bit of a distance away from you.. but yes I would LOVE to try 'em out!

Though I have this horrible feeling it will have me panging after Tech cabs again, sir!!

[quote name='Marcus' post='65149' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:23 AM']I like the simplicity of the BC....[/quote]

I don't know of many amps that are simpler than this!

2 sockets (passive & active), 6 knobs (input, bright/fat, bass, mid, treble, output) and 3 switches... 2 of which are for the DI and the other is a standby/mute switch!

The strange thing is that it doesn't matter where or how extreme you set the EQ controls you still have a totally useable sound... cheers Mark you have taken me one more step toward deciding which one to keep!