Why become a member? ×

Sorry its a what amplification post

macp

Hi guys

Been playing along on my 5 string for a couple of months now and enjoying it although I think I should have started on a 4 string (another story).Anyway Im more than ready for some kind of amplification but dont know whether to go for something like a VOX headphone amp or go straight for small practice amp.I like making up my own riffs but I would like to play along to something too.What thoughts or advice do you guys have ?

Thankyou in advance.

Edited by macp

[quote name='chris_b' post='596423' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:09 AM']There is no rule that says you should play a 4 string bass before moving to a 5 string![/quote]

Absoloutly. Start as you mean to go on squire!

I'd go as big and as loud as you can afford, that way it'll be longer before you grow out of it. I also find that no matter how good the headphone pre, bigger speakers react very differently to your playing.

[quote name='macp' post='596405' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:50 AM']Hi guys

Been playing along on my 5 string for a couple of months now and enjoying it although I think I should have started on a 4 string (another story).Anyway Im more than ready for some kind of amplification but dont know whether to go for something like a VOX headphone amp or go straight for small practice amp.I like making up my own riffs but I would like to play along to something too.What thoughts or advice do you guys have ?

Thankyou in advance.[/quote]

If you choose a small practice amp, just make sure that it has both a CD/Aux input jack and a Headphone (out) socket. It's surprising how many of the so called practice amp/small combo's miss out on one or the other of these sockets.

If you don't have a headphone socket then you have to play "live" and probably disturb the rest of the household or the neighbours. With a headphone socket you have the option to play along to whatever you like at any time in almost total silence.

Balcro.

I have a Laney RB3 as my 'home' amp. Ticks all the boxes for CD input and headphone out, plus has a DI out if you want to record and at 65 watts is just about usable with a band if you stomp on the guitarist's fingers and give the drummer twiglets to batter with. Or just talk to them nicely to turn down a bit.

my last too practice amps are as follows:
ashdown perfect 10 : cheap for what it does 30w and will bring a smile to you face
line6 studio110 : this could last you right up to gigging time and even then you can plug it into a pa. Great for recording and has a massive variety of sound.