Why become a member? ×

Help me improve my Schecter bass tone

Dubhghaill

I've been trying to get a decent tone with my Schecter 5 string bass but I can't seem to get it to sound how I want it. I'm using a PODxt live and I think I should probably switch to something else.

Here's how my bass sounds with no amp sim (basically using my PODxt as a DI box): [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_jh0IVqxw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_jh0IVqxw[/url]

I want to get a growly aggressive slightly overdriven bass sound. I really like the bass tone on The Bedlam in Goliath and Lateralus.

So, first step: I think I could do with some new strings. I'm used to playing Ernie Balls and these strings feel a bit dull.

Has anyone got a decent bass tone from a POD? Or shall I start looking at SansAmp stuff?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='596417' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:01 AM']New strings will definitely help. Yes, I have the BassPod XT Live and it's fine.

Try some DR strings on it. They're expensive, but they do give you a much nicer tone.

Also, is your Schecter active? Perhaps try adding some treble and bass on the preamp if it is. Sounds very dull and flat to me.[/quote]

I have a PODxt Live with the bass expansion, which should be exactly the same, right?

It's not active but it has an active preamp. It has two volume knobs and two EQ knobs, and I recorded it with the EQs both flat and the volumes both on full.

I've never used DR strings on a bass. How do they compare to Slinkys?

Try adding some treble and bass. Depending on the frequency of the boost on your Schecter, you should be able to get a much nicer sound. I usually run my eq at 75-100 percent. Try boosting both treble and bass all the way and then back each off to your personal taste.

The eq on my Status basses is at a very high frequency, so I usually use treble and bass set at full as it gives a very sweet sound :)

The DR strings are much softer in feel and they seem much brighter and punchier.

DR Hi-Beam strings and a Sansamp VT. Honestly, even if you eventually sell the Schecter, you'll want to keep the Sansamp. I've got one and use it all the time.

Will easily get the sound you've described without a minimal amount of tweaking... here's an example of its versatility...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the strings have helped. I dont use slinkys, are they nickel? i've always found nickel strings go duller quicker for me, which is why i'll always use steels if i can, i also prefer the sound of them.

for a tool-esque sound you'll need to dial in more mid, your treble seems fine, and also some kind of preamp/od to add a little grit. we're not talking full on distortion, just something left on all the time to give it some bite (justin from tool uses a rat)

hope that helps.

[quote name='Bassmingo' post='609195' date='Sep 26 2009, 01:06 PM']Sounds like the strings have helped. I dont use slinkys, are they nickel? i've always found nickel strings go duller quicker for me, which is why i'll always use steels if i can, i also prefer the sound of them.[/quote]
Apparently they are "Made from nickel plated steel wire wrapped around tin plated hex shaped steel core wire".

[quote name='Bassmingo' post='609195' date='Sep 26 2009, 01:06 PM']for a tool-esque sound you'll need to dial in more mid, your treble seems fine, and also some kind of preamp/od to add a little grit. we're not talking full on distortion, just something left on all the time to give it some bite (justin from tool uses a rat)

hope that helps.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I just realised I was playing a lot of Tool song in that video... The purpose of the video was to show the bass completely flat so nothing interferes with the tone :rolleyes: But now it's sounding more like how I would like, I can start creating a patch to get my bass sound :)

That sounds a lot better, the new strings sound like they've helped loads, and obviously using a pick makes a massive difference. It may be expensive, but maybe a new amp could get you more towards the sound you're after. I have an ashdown ABM300 and the tube pre sounds great for a little bit of moderate overdrive and the amp itself is really punchy, i love it.

You could also dial that in with your pod, though i've never used one, so i don't know. Also try playing with the settings on your bass, maybe use the bridge pickup exclusively or something or try cutting/boosting some frequencies, it will make a massive difference to your sound.

Edited by budget bassist