Why become a member? ×

Neewb

TRadford

Hi there. Long time drummer, first time bassist!
I have been playing drums for about 15 years and still play, but neighbours and a bad back injury have meant I have had to cut back.

I used to have a doodle on my brothers bass about 10 years ago, and always prefered it to guitar.

Im hoping to try and learn properly, but I have start from the begining and work my way up.
A friend has kindly offered me a Yamaha bass guitar for free, but I wont be able to get it until the 20th Sept and I have no idea on the model or even what state its in, so I may be on the lookout for a nice cheapish bass for myself.
Currently borrowing a friends crappy starter bass, just to get the fingers going, but I think its probably going to do more harm than good in the long run!

Hope to learn a lot here!!

Tom

Hi Tom and welcome :)

We've had a few drummers come in recently - not sure if this is a developing trend! If you've got a bad back you may eventually wish to explore the idea of lightweight cabs and amps - unless you've got your heart set on an Ampeg 8x10 rig!

Hope you enjoy the forum - lots of useful info if you search the sub-forums - and a relatively useful wiki (link right at the very top of the page).

Thanks all
I think I'll be a home bassist, as I am drummer. Ive been there and done that with gigging bands in my teens, and to be honest its too much hassle. Im quite happy just playing for fun for myself. Maybe get a few friends over for a quiet jam, but certianly no gigs anywhere so a smallish practice amp should be adequate.

Just trying to find a nice bass to suit. Im in a whole new world, and with so much choice, its a minefield.
I want something good, but I have a very tight budget, as this may be a passing phase, so dont want to spend a fortune on gear. Quite happy with second hand stuff, but none of this cheap rubbish that falls to bits within minutes.
This bass Im borrrowing now, is a no brand generic starter thing, or FEPOS as we say in the drum world. ( Far eastern piece of... well you can guess) and its terrible. So Im concerned that by even trying to play it will just put me off as it sounds and feels so bad. On the lookout for a yamaha or ibanez or similar for max of £150 and must be posted as I cant even drive at the moment due to the drugs Im on for my back.
At least as Im off work for the week, I can surf Ebay all day for a bargain!!

[quote name='TRadford' post='593813' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:22 PM']On the lookout for a yamaha or ibanez or similar for max of £150 and must be posted ...At least as Im off work for the week, I can surf Ebay all day for a bargain!![/quote]

£150 will get you something decent out of the Basses for sale section here on Basschat. There's even a (loosely observed) feedback section!

Enjoy the hunt :)

Edited by skankdelvar