Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR500

Spyke

Well, after having my Yamaha RBX374 (can't remember the letters hahaha) for nearly 2 years and my Ibanez SRX705 for a year I decided to add to the family, now this was blind faith, I bought the Sr500 in May and didn't really know what to expect of an Ibanez 4 string.
Well, I bought it off the net and when I came home from college a few days later, I heard from my useless non metal loving sister that it came a few days ago when I was asleep.
BEATCH!!!!! Got it out the box and it was smaller and lighter than I thought, my Yamaha is very heavy and chunky and my SRX isn't that light either.
So, light, very good.
But I fell in love with the neck, ibanez necks are very slim so I heard and bloody hell they are, brilliant! Being hyperflexible in my left hand, it made way for some very odd abilities to sprout I could not manage on my Yamaha.
So, its already got some history, passed my Rockschool Bass Grade 1 with it (3rd highest score so if this bass isn't a good omen hell knows what is!!!)
Gigged at the local amphitheatre with it. It is now my main bass but if I ever get tempted to buy another bass.
What's the best kind to go for? I'd sell my soul or a kidney, or a tooth for a Rickenbacker 4003 but I wont ever be able to afford one...
So, I like slim necks I use a pick and play quite roughly, I'd like to get something where you don't need pro wrestler strength to hold down a string as well but I suppose mods can sort that issue anyway.

So, my fine comrades of bass. Ibanez SR500 = godly bass, good sound, good feel, its light and well, I like it.
I know some people like to get certain parts replaced or finetuned to optimize the ability of the instrument for any new bass, I'm not one of them because i'm a noob.
If there's anyone who is familiar with Ibanez basses and can suggest anything I can get done to improve its godliness, hit me with all you got!

Otherwise, try to bribe me with fancy basses.
But if you post any Rickenbackers...
I'll cry.
Seriously...

I am hardly an Ibanez expert, but I really like their basses. I have the SR1205 - the holy grail of Ibanez 5 strings - and I am in the process of upgrading the electronics. The bridge looks like it might be able to be replaced with a Badass, but I'm not convinced it is necessary. The electronics are, sadly, weak and NEED to be changed.

But my SR1205 is over ten years old. If I remember correctly, the SR range now has Bartolini pickups. I think you may find that Ibanez have already upgraded their basses so that you don't need to!

I've had a SR400 in natural mahogany for a few years. It has PJ pickups, is active, sounds and plays fantastic. I wasn't keen on the Bartolini soap bar sound.

The only thing I changed was the strings. It came with Elixir and I've but Bass Centre Stadiums on it. Fantastic sound.

Oh I've changed the battery a few times as well :)

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Spyke' post='591152' date='Sep 6 2009, 02:07 AM']Ibanez SR500 = godly bass, good sound, good feel, its light and well, I like it.[/quote]

couldn't have put it better myself! and i've talked about how much i love my ibanez so many times i sometimes get bored of it!

I scored a quick 'buy it now' Ibby SR505 on ebay for £180 the other night. It has the Barts too. Just waiting on postage at the mo. I tired a SR505 in Exeter Mansons a few years back and have never been able to shift the experience out my head, despite owning a lovely Lakland JO5. So at £180 it was worth another argument with the wife! :rolleyes: and taking her out for a meal :)

£180 FOR A 505? Bloody hell! lol
I had to fork out £410 XD

Gonna replace the strings once they come in the post in the next few days because its recently been looking a right state.
I'm not exactly gentle and when I do exercises I go all out guitarist shredding. Its impractical to even mention shred and bass together but it gets me fingers and me arms working!
At a price of strings, will get a picture of their state sometime.

Fun!!!

I find when you're young the Ibby necks are great & allow a lot of flexibility, but I'm finding the slim neck uncomfortable for holding chords or octaves (or anything that requires a little pressure). This is due to me getting old tho & can't fault anything else about my SR1000. The pick ups say USA C1 on them and I haven't a scooby what they are, but I like the sound & other than getting a thicker neck on it, I can't think of any upgrades that I'd do. Maybe a Hipshot?

I've had mine for nearly 20 years & the only thing I change on it is the strings. Although I've thought about a few things & then thought, Naah.