Why become a member? ×

decent free VSTi's?

Tait

hi,

i'm just wondering if anyone has any links to any free VSTi's that might some in handy when i'm messing with MIDI? i'm not looking for anything serious or professional, just for messing around with when i'm using a MIDI sequence.

i'm not looking for anything i won't ever use either, like a didgeridoo or something, but maybe a decent sounding guitar, bass, keyboard, maybe a violin, cello, double bass, grand piano, things that i could actually use. although if there is anything completely weird, a link to that would be pretty fun anyway :)

cheers,

tait.

Hmm, well in my experience there are many good free [i]effects[/i], but not that many free traditional [i]instruments[/i]. Maybe the work involved in the latter much exceeds that in the former. There are quite a few good free synths, e.g. SuperWaveP8, but I'm not sure whether that's what you're after. Maybe take a look at DSK Strings, MDrummer, sfz + some .sf2 files.

Edited by sdgrsr400

Mate to be honest you get what you pay for.There is a hell of a difference sound wise between a top vst synth and a free one,i have been working with them for years and it is worth the the investment if you want to go down this route.Think about the difference between an 80s bontempi and an 80s roland juno,its the same difference in software,i love high end vsts. Some free stuff is ok but if you want to do this well you must get a decent soundcard and decent software,or people will know,believe me. If you need help vst wise pm me some are a lot more bang for your buck than others.

Edited by YouMa

[b]Independence free sampler[/b]...
Its a free sampler with about 2 gig of sounds,and they are as good as they get.
Hefty download, but it is free!
You can add to the library as you go, [ you pay for the extra library's if you need them]
But more than enough to get you going.
Superb.

[url="http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=842"]http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=842[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='YouMa' post='590303' date='Sep 5 2009, 12:40 AM']Mate to be honest you get what you pay for.There is a hell of a difference sound wise between a top vst synth and a free one,i have been working with them for years and it is worth the the investment if you want to go down this route.Think about the difference between an 80s bontempi and an 80s roland juno,its the same difference in software,i love high end vsts. Some free stuff is ok but if you want to do this well you must get a decent soundcard and decent software,or people will know,believe me. If you need help vst wise pm me some are a lot more bang for your buck than others.[/quote]

thing is, at the moment anyway, i don't want to go down this route, not seriously. its just something to mess around with, i'm not bothered about getting a great sound, i was simply asking because when i search for free VSTi downloads theres loads of them, i figured i might as well ask and see if there are any people recommend before i download one that i might end up disappointed with.

[quote name='Stewart' post='590318' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:10 AM']There is no shortage of great VST stuff - here's a source of some goodies - mostly freeware.

In particular, check out Antti's ASynth and Taurus.[/quote]

hi, sorry, i might be completely misunderstanding your post, but did you mean to post a link there? you said here's a source of some goodies but you didnt say where. thanks!

[quote name='lowdown' post='590366' date='Sep 5 2009, 07:56 AM'][b]Independence free sampler[/b]...
Its a free sampler with about 2 gig of sounds,and they are as good as they get.
Hefty download, but it is free!
You can add to the library as you go, [ you pay for the extra library's if you need them]
But more than enough to get you going.
Superb.

[url="http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=842"]http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=842[/url]

Garry[/quote]

that link leads to the news page, did you mean [url="http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=892"]this[/url]? the independace free 2.5? does this work the same way as a .dll plugin, you put it into the right folder for you DAW software? my german ist sehr schlect (although i'm suprised at how much i understand on that page :)), so i'm not sure how it works, i'd rather get an explaination i fully understand, rather than odd words and phrases that i understand on the website. thanks!

Edited by Tait

[quote]hi, sorry, i might be completely misunderstanding your post, but did you mean to post a link there? you said here's a source of some goodies but you didnt say where. thanks![/quote]

Ah yes, finger/brain trouble...

[url="http://smartelectronix.com/"]Smartelectronix[/url]

[quote name='Tait' post='590689' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:51 PM']thing is, at the moment anyway, i don't want to go down this route, not seriously. its just something to mess around with, i'm not bothered about getting a great sound, i was simply asking because when i search for free VSTi downloads theres loads of them, i figured i might as well ask and see if there are any people recommend before i download one that i might end up disappointed with.

hi, sorry, i might be completely misunderstanding your post, but did you mean to post a link there? you said here's a source of some goodies but you didnt say where. thanks!

that link leads to the news page, did you mean [url="http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=892"]this[/url]? the independace free 2.5? does this work the same way as a .dll plugin, you put it into the right folder for you DAW software? my german ist sehr schlect (although i'm suprised at how much i understand on that page :)), so i'm not sure how it works, i'd rather get an explaination i fully understand, rather than odd words and phrases that i understand on the website. thanks![/quote]

First of all.
When you get to the page - press the union jack! thats usually for English.
Its a VSTi, thats what you said you are after.
Independence is a sampler that loads up high quality samples [provided]
But you can use just as a rompler [and its easy to use] just like loading presets.

Not sure what DAW you are using, But it will show up after installation.
Yes a .dll file, but that is automatically directed to your VST folder on programme installation.
Some small .dll files can be copied to your VST folder manually,
But software that comes with an installer, usually sets the path for .dll on the installation.

Hope this helps.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='590720' date='Sep 5 2009, 03:19 PM']First of all.
When you get to the page - press the union jack! thats usually for English.[/quote]

oops, i didnt notice that!

[quote name='lowdown' post='590720' date='Sep 5 2009, 03:19 PM']Its a VSTi, thats what you said you are after.
Independence is a sampler that loads up high quality samples [provided]
But you can use just as a rompler [and its easy to use] just like loading presets.

Not sure what DAW you are using, But it will show up after installation.
Yes a .dll file, but that is automatically directed to your VST folder on programme installation.
Some small .dll files can be copied to your VST folder manually,
But software that comes with an installer, usually sets the path for .dll on the installation.

Hope this helps.

Garry[/quote]

ok, thanks, i'm downloading it now. i'm using reaper, so hopefully it'll show up where its supposed to. once its downloaded i'll have a good play around with it. thanks!

[quote name='Tait' post='590738' date='Sep 5 2009, 03:37 PM']oops, i didnt notice that!

ok, thanks, i'm downloading it now. i'm using reaper, so hopefully it'll show up where its supposed to. once its downloaded i'll have a good play around with it. thanks![/quote]

Yep, a friend of mine uses it in Reaper and it works fine.
Have fun.

Garry

[quote name='Stewart' post='590318' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:10 AM']There is no shortage of great VST stuff - here's a source of some goodies - mostly freeware.

In particular, check out Antti's ASynth and Taurus.[/quote]

That Taurus one is good :) Have been sat here pretending I'm in Rush for the last 5 minutes :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal is a very good free synth.

For drums worth looking at Mydrumsetrocks.

If your looking for a variety of sounds then Native Instruments allow you to download Kontact (I think that's the name) Player for free which comes with 400mb or so of their sounds which are top notch.