Why become a member? ×

My Warwick Thumb NT

thumperbob 2002

Hi All

Now that my Marcus Miller has gone this is my one and only bass- Cant really count my Hofner Senator!!

I love it- and I have had it for 3 years- obviously takes some time for me to really like something- I have found that recently.

Crappy blackberry pictures though.

Cheers

Bob[attachment=32097:blackber...0909_032.jpg][attachment=32096:blackber...0909_031.jpg]

[quote name='peted' post='588545' date='Sep 3 2009, 12:54 PM']That is a lovely Warwick. My Thumb bolt-on 4 is an amazing bass and I'll be taking it to the grave. The Shuker I'm getting built has a lot of Warwick inspired touches.[/quote]

Thanks

Havent really played this bass live until the last month or so- thought it was too expensive but once I decided to sell the Marcus have really got into the Thumb. I Do watch it closely at gigs though and have warned the band not to make any sudden moves if they are near me- but the inevitable will happen I suppose!!

cheers

Bob

Hey,

I wouldn't worry too much - the cool thing about Warwick oil finishes is that if the NT does get badly scratched you can easily smooth the area down with a Brillo pad and re-wax. All fixed! Try doing that with a cracked poly finish!

I've had to do this to various Warwicks over the years and it works a treat.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='588573' date='Sep 3 2009, 01:12 PM']Thanks

Havent really played this bass live until the last month or so- thought it was too expensive but once I decided to sell the Marcus have really got into the Thumb. I Do watch it closely at gigs though and have warned the band not to make any sudden moves if they are near me- but the inevitable will happen I suppose!!

cheers

Bob[/quote]

I love the looks of Warwick Thumbs - a 5 string is my favourite of them all. Hearing/seeing Norwood Fisher play a Thumb 5 NT with Fishbone was one of the things that made me want to play in the first place. The other day I was talking to Mrs Doc B about not feeling 'worthy' of having a bass like that as I'm not the greatest player and she surprised me by saying "why not get one?!" I'm now starting to save up for a used Thumb 5, most likely a bolt-on. I've still to try playing one though. You never know, maybe getting the bass I've always wanted will cure my GAS.

The Bolt On 5 strings I had an awesome cutting sound. It was a '98 with wenge neck.

The problems were balance, weight and it felt like a 36 scale with such a small body. Try one if you can with a strap. They are meant to be played high up, or with a comfort strap.

Now provides the low end for this band :

[url="http://www.myspace.com/toxicfederation"]http://www.myspace.com/toxicfederation[/url]

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='589670' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:54 PM']The Bolt On 5 strings I had an awesome cutting sound. It was a '98 with wenge neck.

The problems were balance, weight and it felt like a 36 scale with such a small body. Try one if you can with a strap. They are meant to be played high up, or with a comfort strap.[/quote]

Norwood always played his at about knee height!

I definitely need to try a few out - the balance issue might bother me. Shame you couldn't get a Thumb with a top horn more like a Corvette.

Edited by Doc B

Yeah, I find that my Thumb 4 balances really well, it's an absolute joy to play standing or sitting! And that is something which really surprised me after I heard the usual moans sbout Thumb basses! However, it has really stepped up in becoming my #1 bass. It just does everything I want, and the fact that it plays and looks amazing is a huge bonus. The sound is the main factor for me, and it's so unique. Nothing else compares to a Thumb!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='589168' date='Sep 3 2009, 10:08 PM']How does the 4 balance compared to the 5?

I loved the sound of my NT5 but the neckdive was too much[/quote]

My '91 NT 4 balances perfectly on the strap, bit neck-heavier than say a Jazz, but it's never been a problem. The short top horn can cause some issues stretching down the lower reaches of the neck but I stretch for notes more than most I think, I tend to not to move my hand unless I have to. Bit lazy maybe.

I don't know if the woods used or neck profile have made the balance issue any different on more recent basses, they might have.

[quote name='Doc B' post='589604' date='Sep 4 2009, 12:53 PM']Hearing/seeing Norwood Fisher play a Thumb 5 NT with Fishbone was one of the things that made me want to play in the first place. The other day I was talking to Mrs Doc B about not feeling 'worthy' of having a bass like that as I'm not the greatest player and she surprised me by saying "why not get one?!"[/quote]

Norwood was my first real bass influence and that made me go try out Warwicks (at what was Carlsbro Sound in Leeds) and I just figured I'd file it with Wal Fretless under "Basses I'll never be able to afford". Back in 2002-ish I got one (from probably the same year I was trying them out in Carlsbro Sound!) on eBay for £670. It's a minter.

Last month I watched the guy I bought it from win an auction for a direct replacement (another '91 Thumb) for £1120. Felt a bit bad, but not that bad. :)