Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-210T

gicut58

Morning chaps,

don't post much but do wander round, to the point where when i wanted a new rig I 'did my research' and shelled out last week for a shuttle 6 with the 2x10 Genz cab to go with it. Just about everything I'd read/seen (including the youtube reviews) gave a positive spin, and I'd really been looking forward to it after having major issues with a new Marshall Rig earlier in the year.
However, after jumping in on first gig on saturday night I was having problems by the end of the first set, and had to switch off and bring 'old faithful', my ampeg, back into use.
I'm going back to supplier (Bass Merchant) today but am interested to know if anyone else has had problems with the head/cab ?

gicut58

Hey there gicut.

What was the problem then, cab or amp?

I've got the shuttle six teamed with two 2 x 10" mark bass cabs. Been using it for about a year now.
It has been faultless, apart from my first gig withit, when I was using my active fender. The signal kept breaking up when playing hard. Once I had reduced the gain and increased the master volume, all was ok.
Deffo needs setting differently for active basses, I have the gain set alot higher for my passive jazz.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but just thought it might be of help.

Cheers Gary.

Have since phoned Darren at BM who obviously keeps an eye out here because he PM'd me within half an hour of original post- how good is that for service! (so far) and have since spoken to him and will follow up.
So, I used my Status and set the rig up as I always do - not too much pre and gain because active bass, everything flat used eq on gtr, pulled main volume up till just prior to clip when played hard. Roll the top end off and i love it!
Half hour into the set I started to get a real fuzzy tone as if overdriven on anything below open D, clean tone above - wierd or what?. So, first set finishes early and old faithful Ampeg comes back on stage to finish the gig.

Tried again sunday morning, same effect. Having spoken to a few people, thoughts at this stage are
a. - resonant frequency in cab, so try another cab/cabs - going to do that tonight and follow up with Darren tomorrow and
b.- problem with output stage of amp.

Any other ideas?

Back to original thread, has anyone else had issues with these?
g

Why would a resonant frequency in a cab reveal itself with the Shuttle and not the Ampeg? Sounds a fault with the Shuttle IMO. I had a Shuttle 6 and never really took to it. It was very susceptible to overheating when in a Gig Skinz rack bag which caused the power to temporarily shut down, but in a hard 3U rack with space above the amp was fine.

Edited by alanbass1

The Ampeg is a B100 Rocket combo with a single 12" speaker so doesn't share any common parts with the Genz. I DI it out to the drummers active sub for a bit of extra bottom end, but one of the main reasons for change was output/weight in that the Ampeg combo is 100w/76lbs, the Genz setup is 375w/sub-50lbs.

G

I have a Shuttle 6 and experienced a some sporadic distortion when the amp was sitting on a cab - once taken off all was fine - figured it might be microphonics from the preamp tube - got in touch with Bass Merchant asked if I'd void the warranty by swapping tubes, they said no - so I put in a replacement tube and have had no problems since.
J

checked out amp last night with an Aguilar 1x12 rated at (I think) 300W and it sounded beautiful all the way down.
I'll check with a couple more cabs tonight and also see if I can find another head to check the cab out with, but looks like it's heading towards a fault in the cab electronics.
I'l probably end up heading down to BM at the weekend whatever - ideal opportunity to pop over to the Status factory(?) as well if I can persuade the trouble & strife that it's absolutely essential.

G

Alex,
Yes, whether master volume low or pumped up, with flat eq and nominal pre/gain, clean tone above open D and fuzzy as if overdriven below - can't get clean sound from lower register. Roll off the low eq and play at low end and I still don't get clean tone/clean higher overtones, the distortion/fuzz is the most prominent sound.
Clear as mud i know but maybe you get the picture.

G

If there's 'unluck' to be had, I'm the one gets it.
If someone else gets the opposite at the same time, he's sure as hell living the high life.

I must admit i haven't stuck my lughole particularly close to either speaker in the cab but can do that tonite - thanks, anything to nail it down further is appreciated.

G

Checked Amp again last night with pair 15" H&H speakers, confirmed fine.
Set up head/cab, fuzzy tone produced through both speakers in cab (eliminating/confirming speaker fault?),
at low and higher volumes - always there, much more pronounced below open D.

I've spoken to Darren at BM, and must admit they've been extremely helpful - the cab is going back for assessment,
and I'll post again in due course if anyone's interested.

G

• 2 months later...

Ive got a very similar problem with my 210T. I only recently noticed it when I used it for a practice instead of my combo. Its not too in your face but I get a fizzy distortion to the note anywhere below D on the A string which dies out before the note does. Only from the top speaker. Ive emailed Genz and the stories are true, Jeff Genzler emailed me straight back. We are trying to troubleshoot it at present but it might mean a replacement speaker. Trouble is they are saying that because I bought it in the states, that my warranty is in question. Dont really understand that but will investigate that further. Im emailing them again tonight and hopefully they may have an answer. Ill post as soon as I know what the deal is.

Maxcat,

Issue was solved, imo eventually, and I'm although its taking time to find 'my sound', i love the gear.

Darren sent the cab to Fender (UK distributors) who decided in their wisdom that the speakers themselves were faulty and needed replacing. I went on my jollys mid to late sept and left them to deal with it. When i got back at end of sept, Darren checked and there was no progress, they were still waiting for replacement speaker units.
After chasing several times over the next fortnight, whilst either using the ampeg or borrowing gear for gigs, it appeared that spares are hard to come by, and at the point I was getting slightly miffed and I think Darren may have been getting tired of the lack of movement, I was offerred a replacement cab, which I accepted.

Whilst I waited for the new cab to turn up, Darren at BM offerred me a Bass Merchant demonstrator -210Cab, which he duly sent out and I kept for a couple of weeks until I was certain the replacement cab was working ok, at which point the it went back. I got the replacement end 2nd week October if I remember rightly.

There's a few things I learnt here -
1, Doesn't matter how much you spend, new electronics can and do go wrong, which is a good reason for
2, Buying UK and even paying a bit more and buying locally (BM is not too far away for me to have taken a day out and gone if
I had to)
3, Darren at BM, although I had to call him to get things moving, always responded well - BM paid all shipping costs
to/from me, which I think is pretty damn good given the present economic climate, so use a good/recommended supplier
4, Shooting the messenger doesn't help
5, Patience.

Stuff shouldn't go wrong when you've just paid oodles of wonga, but it does.
I was quite pi**ed off with the amount of time it took to get sorted and I think this could have been improved upon, but BM (and Darren) made enough of a positive impression for me to purchase there again with no worries.

Maxcat,
keep pushing - aren't warranties these days world wide? - but you may have to pay shipping, and there's no way to get away from the time/hassle element. Best of luck mate, and if I can be any help, shout.

gicut58