Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz

JBassist

[quote name='JBassist' post='581196' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:53 AM']on the A string on frets 6,7 and 8 i get fret buzz but the buzz comes from frets behind

will raising/lowering the action help or not

any help[/quote]
Very simplistically raising will but there are other factors but I'm too much of an idiot know what they are.

[quote name='JBassist' post='581446' date='Aug 26 2009, 02:47 PM']if i cant hear it through the amp should i just ignore it[/quote]

It's all down to taste. My frets rattle when the bass is played but when amped, you don't hear anything. If it's only effecting one string, it sounds like your string height is wrong for that one string. All this is hard without seeing the bass, but I would guess that your nut slot for that string is cut too deep or the saddle for that string is too low. If they aren't, it may be that your truss rod needs adjustment - again, without seeing the bass I don't know what sort of relief is in the neck. It may also be the case that you have a couple of high frets which haven't been stoned properly and the rattle is caused by that.

The best thing to do is take it to a luthier and pick his brains about it... but make sure he explains why it is wrong so you begin to understand how the action on your bass works and what influences it.

Have you changed your strings recently? Have you changed the gauge of your strings?