Why become a member? ×

Insurance recommendations?

padmavyuha

Hello ladies and gents

I'm in the middle of buying a Stentor Messina (not a model they carry any more, it's somewhere between a Conservatoire and an Elysia in quality, shellac finish, matte and pretty, sounds very nice as far as my neophytic ear can tell, and has had a new bridge and strings and fingerboard refit since its birth). This is my first foray into bass playing, and I've got a teacher lined up 20 minutes from here. Expect to see me asking questions here for a while! First one:

Can anyone recommend a good reasonable instrument insurance company to cover carting around a DB in the UK?

Thanks in advance for your time.

[quote name='bassace' post='580037' date='Aug 25 2009, 11:46 AM']Join the Musicians Union (£150 per annum) and you get up to £2,000 cover for your gear. Public liability cover as well.[/quote]
Thanks for the replies - I'll probably go with Allianz, who are quoting me around ₤49 for worldwide cover (including unattended in vehicle - you never know).

Joining the MU would be a bit overkill in terms of cost right now - since I'm a complete beginner, I don't think I'll need public liability until I start gigging and my bass falls on someone :).

[quote name='padmavyuha' post='580146' date='Aug 25 2009, 01:06 PM']Thanks for the replies - I'll probably go with Allianz, who are quoting me around ₤49 for worldwide cover (including unattended in vehicle - you never know).

Joining the MU would be a bit overkill in terms of cost right now - since I'm a complete beginner, I don't think I'll need public liability until I start gigging and my bass falls on someone :).[/quote]

No probs. Glad to have been able to help!

[quote name='padmavyuha' post='580146' date='Aug 25 2009, 01:06 PM']Thanks for the replies - I'll probably go with Allianz, who are quoting me around ₤49 for worldwide cover (including unattended in vehicle - you never know).

Joining the MU would be a bit overkill in terms of cost right now - since I'm a complete beginner, I don't think I'll need public liability until I start gigging and my bass falls on someone :).[/quote]

Fair enough. When we started playing long ago we got a gig playing support to a mega band (in those days). We were still at school and chuffed to bits and looking forward very much. Three days to go and the MU put the block on us....................rather, put the block on the headlining band playing with us. We went and drew out all our savings to join the Union and still do the gig. So I haven't been a great fan of the MU since but have to join mainly because of the PL and most of the musos I work with are members.

I left the MU a few years - I thought they withdrew the instrument insurance member's benefit (but retained the PL)? Anyway, I'm insured with broker Vic Knight - they used to be recommended when the MU covered the first part of a claim. I've no idea how good they are, as I've never had to claim but they've always been very professional and helpful when I've spoken to them.

I went with Allianz in the end - a bit more than originally quoted, as I hadn't put on a high enough replacement value to begin with. No-one else seemed to come near the same price on it.

I was going to have 'in unattended vehicle' cover too, until just before the deal was done, the sales bloke mentioned that cover was dependent on the instrument 'not being visible in the vehicle', at which point I laughed and said 'let's not bother with that, then.' :)

[quote name='bassace' post='580502' date='Aug 25 2009, 06:05 PM']Fair enough. When we started playing long ago we got a gig playing support to a mega band (in those days). We were still at school and chuffed to bits and looking forward very much. Three days to go and the MU put the block on us....................rather, put the block on the headlining band playing with us. We went and drew out all our savings to join the Union and still do the gig. So I haven't been a great fan of the MU since but have to join mainly because of the PL and most of the musos I work with are members.[/quote]
I agree with bassace on this one. The MU Public Liability Insurance is worth the subs alone. I've been a member since I was 16 (42 years ago!) because in those days it was a closed shop and you had to be in it if you wanted to work with other pros. But I'm not a union-minded person tho', quite the opposite in fact, but I take an interest in what the union is up to - I read all the mags and leaflets they send - and although I take an opposing view on most of their political stances, I do believe that musos need a representative body especially in these difficult economic times. And I think I'm right in saying that if you have only a small income from music, the subs are negligible.

The Major