Why become a member? ×

Kinal MK-5

Rayman

[quote name='Rayman' post='600904' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:46 PM']Well, what an interesting evening.

The band has sorted out it's problems, we had a blinding rehearsal tonight and really tore the place up.

The Kinal was jaw dropping. For some reason it sounded, and played better than any bass I've ever heard tonight, it was absolutely blistering. We all had smiles on our faces for the first time in months.

So, for that reason, I'm withdrawing it from sale. Thanks for all the interest.[/quote]

Good news!

:)

• 1 month later...

Things have taken another turn in the last few days, so now I need something [i]old school[/i]. I've no cash, so a trade is my only option.

I'm after a 70s Precision, a US Precision plus cash, or maybe a Stingray.

Offers around a grand, there's no case, so I'd need to meet you somewhere if possible, I'd hate to post this wonderful bass.

Possible new band on the horizon, and the Kinal doesn't quite fit the vibe, like I say, 4 string old school offers are welcomed, passive not active thanks.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='629464' date='Oct 18 2009, 02:03 PM']Can't wait to hear about the new band Russ :)[/quote]

Early days mate, but I'm quite excited.

In terms of trades, I'm thinking along the lines of:

Precision, Jazz, Stingray. Obviously the Stingray is active, but passive basses would be favourite.

Hit me with any offers of course.

The Kinal is such a special instrument, if I could afford to I'd keep it, but needs must.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='Rayman' post='578274' date='Aug 23 2009, 03:51 PM']Possible new band, possible new direction, so I'd like a different bass.

Bought from Eubassix only a handful of weeks ago, I fell in love with it. It's easliy the best quality bass I've ever owned, and here's what David had to say about it in his blurb:

"Kinal MK-5: Mike Kinal (Canada) five string with a beautiful quilt maple top in an amber stain. Matching head stock (quilt/amber) with a very nice birds-eye maple cap to the rear. Alder body core. Ebony fingerboard on maple + five-piece neck with graphite reinforcement. 2 Aero jazz pickups with Bartolini preamp, 3EQ and 3-way midrange selector switch. Scale length is 35", 1&11/16" nut. String spacing is 9mm at the nut and 17mm at the bridge. Weight is 8 & 3/4 lbs.
Great condition - the only significant 'ding' (no effect on playing) is a small (.5cm) to the side (only) of the ebony board, between frets 1 and 2 (below the G-string). This is one of the best constructed, 'all-purpose' basses I've ever played. Slaps well, is punchy for rock and can also produce more mellow tones"

The Aeros are mounted in Ebony, and even the jack cover is wooden, it looks like rosewood to me.

Super stunning, super high quality from an outstanding Canadian Luthier who is gaining a big reputation.

I'm looking for around £1000 or tradewise a Stingray or a Modulus Flea?

Link to Mike's site:

[url="http://64.180.97.138/kinal/bass.htm"]http://64.180.97.138/kinal/bass.htm[/url][/quote]
What does it sound like, have you got any recordings of it?, dave.