Why become a member? ×

Kinal MK-5

Rayman

Possible new band, possible new direction, so I'd like a different bass.

Bought from Eubassix only a handful of weeks ago, I fell in love with it. It's easliy the best quality bass I've ever owned, and here's what David had to say about it in his blurb:

"Kinal MK-5: Mike Kinal (Canada) five string with a beautiful quilt maple top in an amber stain. Matching head stock (quilt/amber) with a very nice birds-eye maple cap to the rear. Alder body core. Ebony fingerboard on maple + five-piece neck with graphite reinforcement. 2 Aero jazz pickups with Bartolini preamp, 3EQ and 3-way midrange selector switch. Scale length is 35", 1&11/16" nut. String spacing is 9mm at the nut and 17mm at the bridge. Weight is 8 & 3/4 lbs.
Great condition - the only significant 'ding' (no effect on playing) is a small (.5cm) to the side (only) of the ebony board, between frets 1 and 2 (below the G-string). This is one of the best constructed, 'all-purpose' basses I've ever played. Slaps well, is punchy for rock and can also produce more mellow tones"

The Aeros are mounted in Ebony, and even the jack cover is wooden, it looks like rosewood to me.

Super stunning, super high quality from an outstanding Canadian Luthier who is gaining a big reputation.

I'm looking for around £1000 or tradewise a Stingray or a Modulus Flea?

Link to Mike's site:

[url="http://64.180.97.138/kinal/bass.htm"]http://64.180.97.138/kinal/bass.htm[/url]

Edited by Rayman

I am definitely interested in this bass, but I would need someone to buy my Lakland 55-02 Deluxe which I got not so long ago from Champion Badger.

Full set of photos of this at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47865"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47865[/url] , excellent condition and range of tones, £675.

This is just like a house buying chain!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='578370' date='Aug 23 2009, 06:09 PM']A sad day for the Three Amigos...just promise me you're new project has something to do with gynaecology mate :) Someone is going to get a truly outstanding bass - wish it was me Russ.[/quote]

I'm certainly not giving up bass Al, I'll be keeping the OLP, and might well treat myself to another Marcus Miller Jazz or similar at some point, so our regular get togethers won't be affected, I'm still on for another in a handful of weeks.

Thanks for that, to be honest, the ding is so insignificant that I'm not sure my camera will pick it up, I'll have a look.

I've enjoyed playing for fun at home much more than gigs in recent years. Empty pubs, weddings ([i]groan[/i]), and now in my mid 40s I've had enough of it. I'm just going to do it for myself from now on :) .

[quote name='Rayman' post='578274' date='Aug 23 2009, 03:51 PM']Well.....I'm jacking in playing live all together. Endless band troubles and loads of crap pub gigs, and I'm done.[/quote]
The UK music scene takes another victim. I feel your pain.

+ 1 on this fantastic bass. If it was a 34in I'd be in a lot of trouble :)

[quote name='lozbass' post='581033' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:52 AM']I keep coming back to this - the construction looks superb and the back of the neck is really lovely. It's lucky for me that this is a 35"[/quote]

Cheers for that.

Graphite re-enforced with Purple Heart stripes, very tasty, and a dream to play.

I bought the bass to use live, but as I'm not going to play live much longer, I've decided to recoup some of the cash invested in it, otherwise I'd be keeping it, and I still might to be honest.

Edited by Rayman

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a couple of PMs on this bass, the story is, it's still available for the right deal. I could really do with raising some cash, so if the asking price is out of reach then a trade plus cash is possible.

I'd like a Stingray 5, so I'd ask for the 'ray plus a couple of hundred quid. That's the kind of deal I'm after.

Cash is still prefered though.

The bass is simply wonderful, and my only reason for moving it on is purely to raise some cash.

Thanks fellas.

Trade wise my prefered choices would be something along the lines of:

Stingray 5 or a US Precision Deluxe, I'm open to ideas.........I just need some cash on top to get me out of a hole.

OOH.... and if anyone has a nice old Yamaha BB3000S, or better still a [i]couple[/i] of old BBs, I'd be very interested in that.

SR5 is favourite at this time.

Edited by Rayman

Well, what an interesting evening.

The band has sorted out it's problems, we had a blinding rehearsal tonight and really tore the place up.

The Kinal was jaw dropping. For some reason it sounded, and played better than any bass I've ever heard tonight, it was absolutely blistering. We all had smiles on our faces for the first time in months.

So, for that reason, I'm withdrawing it from sale. Thanks for all the interest.