Why become a member? ×

Epiphone ET-280 Shortscale Bass

ped

This bass was very kindly donated to Basschat and is up for sale by yours truly to raise some funds for the site. I don't know much about the bass but it was made in japan somewhere between 1971 and 1976 I think. It has two pickups and a front/middle/back position switch, tone and volume controls. The electronics are pretty old and I have cleaned them up a bit to reduce the noise, so it is within expected limits now.

The neck is great - very straight and has a nice profile, somewhere between a P bass and a Stingray I think. The strings are fairly old roundwounds but I will include a set of shortscale flatwound strings, also donated by a Basschat member.

I have taken some pics of the bass, but I should be able to post some sound clips too later in the week. It's sound is hard to describe - the neck pickup is louder than the bridge, and gives a boomy sound. With both pickups there is a sort of 'plummy' and very rounded sound, and with the rear pickup only the thing sound quite tight and pretty funky.

The action is as low as it can go (any lower and the string hits the metal bridge pickup cover) and is well within limits, probably too low for some, so plenty of scope for adjustments.

It should have a bridge cover, but I am told the cover is the same as the one found on current Epiphone basses, so should be easy to pick up if you so desire. It has a few screws loose/missing (much like the seller) but should be an easy fix.

It certainly is a cool and funny little bass. I will miss it!

I am in Oxford if you would like to come and try the bass. I would prefer to meet you somewhere around Oxfordshire or within a shortish distance rather than post, but can post if you so wish, at your own risk.

Let's see if it shifts at £130. There is no case unfortunately.

Cheers
ped

Nuts! The missus has just expressed an interest in learning to play... so, off goes £100 for a new EB-0 (ever being the sensible type, the warranty settled the issue over SH).

Bad timing. This one looks like a real 'character' bass - just like my '84 BCR Eagle, you're sure it's had some love, but it'll thrash!

I think she might be a little too new to the game to be needing a back-up... but it's a cutey, alright!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='565190' date='Aug 10 2009, 05:28 PM']Nuts! The missus has just expressed an interest in learning to play... so, off goes £100 for a new EB-0 (ever being the sensible type, the warranty settled the issue over SH).
Bad timing. This one looks like a real 'character' bass - just like my '84 BCR Eagle, you're sure it's had some love, but it'll thrash!
I think she might be a little too new to the game to be needing a back-up... but it's a cutey, alright![/quote]

that was a join me in the dark shot

[url="http://img21.imageshack.us/i/37539605816c59867a63b.jpg/"][/url]

use spot metering next time

Hadn't come across these before - will have a think about this as my wife is also just starting to play and finds the Corvette a bit long.

Also incredible that within hours someone comes along looking for parts for the same bass! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57082"]Link[/url]

And I also thought the original pic was a bit dark - but levels between the two would be my choice :)

Edited by bythesea

[quote name='thebeat' post='565401' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:12 PM']Deep blacks? think you need to calibrate your monitor cos you can hardly see anything in those shots. :)[/quote]

Ah really! They look great on here (Sony VAIO screen which is very nice so perhaps I am biased)

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='565506' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:54 PM']Ah really! They look great on here (Sony VAIO screen which is very nice so perhaps I am biased)

Cheers
ped[/quote]

I use a Colorvision Spyder to calibrate my screen as i was having the same problems whenever i posted photos on flickr etc...what looks good on your own screen can, quite often, look terrible on anothers...good investment if you do a lot of photography.