Why become a member? ×

Left hand technique question

JackLondon

Where are you getting pain? The only thing I could see from there was that possibly the position of your thumb relative to your other fingers was changing as you moved position- I'd advise to try and make sure it stays roughly behind your first finger at all times. Kindahard to say without seeing you play in person I think.

Can't see owt obviously wrong with your technique. :)

Only encouragement I can offer is based on my own experience: 2 basslines which had my left hand aching like an achy thing were One Step Beyond (Madness) and Billie Jean (Michael Jackson). I think it was just down to the repetative nature of the pattern(s). Constant practise means I can play them all night with no problems.

How long have you been playing this song, and how long to you play/practise it for at a time?

:rolleyes:

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='563845' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:32 PM']Where are you getting pain? The only thing I could see from there was that possibly the position of your thumb relative to your other fingers was changing as you moved position- I'd advise to try and make sure it stays roughly behind your first finger at all times. Kindahard to say without seeing you play in person I think.[/quote]
The main 2 areas are on the palm of my hand, one just below the tumb and the other one is just on the opposite just abowe the inside of the wrist. With regards to my thumb I always thought you are supposed to keep it around middle of the hand so maybe this is where I'm going wron :)

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='563851' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:41 PM']Can't see owt obviously wrong with your technique. :rolleyes:

Only encouragement I can offer is based on my own experience: 2 basslines which had my left hand aching like an achy thing were One Step Beyond (Madness) and Billie Jean (Michael Jackson). I think it was just down to the repetative nature of the pattern(s). Constant practise means I can play them all night with no problems.

How long have you been playing this song, and how long to you play/practise it for at a time?

:lol:[/quote]

I've been playing it for about 8 months now, when we practice it we run through it 4 times at practice about 3 times every week plus I'm playing it at home as well and it's the only song that gives me the pain

[quote name='JackLondon' post='563939' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:59 AM']The main 2 areas are on the palm of my hand, one just below the tumb and the other one is just on the opposite just abowe the inside of the wrist. With regards to my thumb I always thought you are supposed to keep it around middle of the hand so maybe this is where I'm going wron :)

I've been playing it for about 8 months now, when we practice it we run through it 4 times at practice about 3 times every week plus I'm playing it at home as well and it's the only song that gives me the pain[/quote]
You want to try and minimise the amount of tension in your hand- might be worth trying to see f it makes a difference. I came to bass guitar from double bass, where the thumb is held directly behind the second finger, and this caused me no end of trouble with my fretting technique. Moving the thumb slightly solved it for me. :rolleyes:

[quote name='JackLondon' post='563939' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:59 AM']The main 2 areas are on the palm of my hand, one just below the tumb and the other one is just on the opposite just abowe the inside of the wrist. With regards to my thumb I always thought you are supposed to keep it around middle of the hand so maybe this is where I'm going wron :)[/quote]

It sounds very similar to the pain I used to get. It came from gripping too hard on the neck.

I sorted it out by practicing with my thumb off the back of the neck.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='564074' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:21 PM']You want to try and minimise the amount of tension in your hand- might be worth trying to see f it makes a difference. I came to bass guitar from double bass, where the thumb is held directly behind the second finger, and this caused me no end of trouble with my fretting technique. Moving the thumb slightly solved it for me. :)[/quote]

[quote name='dlloyd' post='564076' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:23 PM']It sounds very similar to the pain I used to get. It came from gripping too hard on the neck.

I sorted it out by practicing with my thumb off the back of the neck.[/quote]

Yep. This is what I was going to say. Ease off on the pressure on the thumb. Don't grip the neck with your thumb - just rest it against it.

It could also be down to the fact that during that particular bass part you seem to be floating your ring finger quite a bit, as opposed to having all fingers flat on the fingerboard whether you're using them or not. Any kind of floating fingers will of course make the tension in your wrist uneven and eventually cause problems.

Your thumb position seems about right in general, although don't be afraid to move the thumb, it shouldn't be forcably static on the back/middle of the neck, let it move with your hand naturally. As previously mentioned, it could also be that you're gripping a bit to hard, this could be down to the height of your action perhaps......are you drop tuning or have a particular high action?

Si