Why become a member? ×

Dead E String

dlloyd

I've had my Stentor Conservatoire for just under a year now and by and large I love it. It immediately felt like the right instrument for me, but the E string just isn't as loud as the other three.

The A, D and G give a beautifully round, resonant tone, but I really have to fight the E string to get it to match the others.

I imagine the problem can only really be diagnosed in person, but is this likely to be an issue with the string itself, or is it the going to be the bass and, if so, is it the sort of thing that can be adjusted away?

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='561873' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:58 AM']What strings are you using? I've heard that a few people have had problem with Thomastik's quality control. They've had dead strings. They've all sent them back and Thomastik returned one that worked. My guess is that it's a problem with the string.[/quote]

No idea. They came already on the bass. Perhaps it's time to change them.

(If Tallboy, who I bought the bass from is around, perhaps he might be able to say what they are?)

[quote name='TheRev' post='561922' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:57 PM']What colours are the silks (both ends)?[/quote]

They're different colours. I went looking for the original for sale advert as it had a photo of the bass in it (and I couldn't remember what colour the silks were!)

Apparently the strings are Pirastro Jazzers.

I think I'm going to try out some Spirocores when I next get paid.

I've got Spiro mediums on my basses. The E was a bit quiet on my Upton and they recommended substituting an Evah Pirazzi medium. That did the trick. Trouble with going up to a Spiro heavy is that you get a bloody thick string. But you need to find out what's on the bass first. Some shop bought basses have very low spec strings as standard and a complete upgrade may be in order.

[quote name='bassace' post='562006' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:42 PM']I've got Spiro mediums on my basses. The E was a bit quiet on my Upton and they recommended substituting an Evah Pirazzi medium. That did the trick. Trouble with going up to a Spiro heavy is that you get a bloody thick string. But you need to find out what's on the bass first. Some shop bought basses have very low spec strings as standard and a complete upgrade may be in order.[/quote]

Must have posted at the same time...

They're Pirastro Jazzers.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='561847' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:42 AM']I've had my Stentor Conservatoire for just under a year now and by and large I love it. It immediately felt like the right instrument for me, but the E string just isn't as loud as the other three.

The A, D and G give a beautifully round, resonant tone, but I really have to fight the E string to get it to match the others.

I imagine the problem can only really be diagnosed in person, but is this likely to be an issue with the string itself, or is it the going to be the bass and, if so, is it the sort of thing that can be adjusted away?[/quote]

I have an Elysia - which I think is essentially the same bass - and whatever strings I've tried, the E has always been a little weaker than the rest. These basses are on the small side so I don't think it's too surprising..

This sometimes happens with strings - I recently purchased 2 sets of identical strings and one came withe dead E string that had much less sustain than the other. I just rang up the place where I got them from and they sent me a new set, to return the others by post and now all is good!