Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVP Pro vs. Ampeg SVT IIP Preamp

73Jazz

[quote name='73Jazz' post='561189' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:51 PM']is there anyone with experience in both preamps?what are the differences in sound?
which one do you prefer?what are the pro`s and cons?

thanks in advance[/quote]

I haven't tried the SVTII Pro but I can heartily recommend the SVP. I loved it from day one, and prefer the tone/verstility to the SVT4 Pro head that I had before.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='561305' date='Aug 5 2009, 04:22 PM']I haven't tried the SVTII Pro but I can heartily recommend the SVP. I loved it from day one, and prefer the tone/verstility to the SVT4 Pro head that I had before.[/quote]

i love it too..i bought also the svt2p and will be able to compare both in a week..which tubes do you use?they really affect the sound of the svp

When my SVP Pro isn't being upset by vibration, it's got a really warm, smooth tone (as I set it up) but with plenty of meat to the sound.
Wind up the OD or the gain, and it can deliver good overdrive or distortion, too.
It does lack the speed of attack or top-end of a SS pre, but the midrange is to die for.
You pays your money, you takes your choice.
I still haven't found the right pre for me.
Best one I've got is using one channel of a cheapo £80 8track mixer!! (and it'll take 4 basses plugged in at once!)

I had the SVP and sold it in favour of the SVT IIP which I still have and is in my rack, in favour of my Aguilar DB680, which is no slouch but I prefer it with my Stingray.
They sound so different, I love my SVT IIP.
Look for valves that are happy being saturated, loads of thick lower mids and some sweet highs, the lows are already there due to the design.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='561443' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:19 PM']I had the SVP and sold it in favour of the SVT IIP which I still have and is in my rack, in favour of my Aguilar DB680, which is no slouch but I prefer it with my Stingray.
They sound so different, I love my SVT IIP.
Look for valves that are happy being saturated, loads of thick lower mids and some sweet highs, the lows are already there due to the design.[/quote]

in my svp i use jj803s on v1 , groove tubes on v2,v3 a jj12au7 in v4 and a mesa spax on v5..that really rocks.

steve..what is the difference in sound in your oppinion?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='561468' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:45 PM']Hi 73, I can't do a back to back with all the gear, as I have a diferent power amp and cabs but I can hear more detail and more umph in the SVT IIP.
Your experience may differ.
:)[/quote]

i use a powersoft digimod 1500 and it has a unknown amount of detail for my ears..in such a high amount, that i sold my sennheiser wireless immediately, because the difference to a cable was inacceptable..

so now i am more looking forward for my svt2p..most the people i know like it more than the svp pro..