Why become a member? ×

Fretless Jazz SOLD

Dr.Dave

I bought this off the forum (earlier this year I think) - as one of those Jaco tribute lined fretless basses. 21 fret (or lack of fret!) job.It's previous owner had replaced the electrics with US Fender pups and pots.

I'm now in a position to offer you this exciting opportunity to enter the world of fretless bass playing for not much brick. Don't stress about it - it's piss simple - just don't look at your fingers and if you're way out just say it's a jazz scale.

It sounds really well for a 'cheap' bass (probably the pups and pots) and plays well too. There's some marking from string wear on the fretboard but you've got have good eyes and a picky nature to worry about it. If you are going to worry about it - don't buy it.

I've had a ball messing with it. For a kick off I put the Fender decal on it , messed with the string guide (there's now 2 - as I prefer with Fender style instruments) . Won't please everyone - so if it doesn't , don't buy it.

I got rid of the side dots and filled the holes - making new side dots where the equivalent fret should be , as is/was my want. Can't say it's a job the Mr Shukers and Goodfellows of this world would be proud of but it does the job. You can reverse the procedure if you want. Or if you can't be arsed and you don't like what I did - don't buy it.

The body I took the wire wool to - only where the forearm marks it and the buckle rash kicks in. It looked too new to my eyes and I wanted it to sort of mirror my old Precision. There's a few small dings too. I wouldn't call it distressed - more like slightly nervous - all adds to the character but you might not like that sort of thing - so don't buy it.

If you DO buy it you can lob the pickguard for all I care - that was added by me - didn't have one at all originally but I like it.

You'd be a right pillock to bin the badass in my opinion - but , if you don't like them go see a shrink and I'll put the original weedy Fender-a-like bridge back on for you.

The buttons are dunlop straplock buttons - I can offer you schallers or regular bog standard types should you wish.

It cost me the princely sum of 125 English pounds. You can have it for the same , but if you want it WITH the badass that'll be £140 to you chief. I'll post it for ....whatever....15 sovs I suppose. Personally I'd take the neck off to send it but if you're too tight to buy a screwdriver I'll send it whole.

Trades?????? Well , I could use a decent bass flight case now we're gigging in Europe a bit. Numbers game til Jet2 f**k up my Precision in it's regular case. I want a good one though - with the big f**k off corners etc. Oh - and I can never be arsed to plug my few FX pedals in either so I might get interested in a Boss ME50b or similar multi - 'jack of all trades but a piece of piss to set up' - FX jobbies. I probably won't be arsed to plug that in either but there you go.

The keen eyed amongst you may notice that it's defficient (have I spelled that right??) in the string dept. by the number 4. Well spotted - but fear not. Rounds or flats - you choose.

If nobody buys it I'm splitting it for bits. You can come try it if you want. We have coffee , posh tea or cheap tea but I never remember to buy any milk and I've run out of sweeteners so you'll have to put up with sugar. I only have 3 Hob Nobs left , though , and I'm having all 3 of them myself , so don't ask. I mean , come on , it's not like you're buying a 60's Fender is it. Might be a soggy custard cream or two with the corners missing , you can have them.

Edited by Dr.Dave

Think i recognise this one!

My first fretless, it's an extremely nice bass and the pickups sound fantastic. If anyone wants a fretless with loads of mwah then look no further, it does an excellent Jaco impression

In fact if i sell the Cort in time i might have this back!

I'm in Wakefield , West Yorks - but I fear the bass won't be for much longer as someone's already 'subject to contract' so to speak.

Besides - you'll have got them cheap hob nobs from Aldi and you'll only try to swap them for my McVities the minute my back's turned..........................

I would !

It was indeed owned my Mr Lemmywinks - just think , it's new owner can say 'ex-2 'name' bass players' - though not sure what name's we'd get called !

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='560709' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:29 PM']I'm in Wakefield , West Yorks - but I fear the bass won't be for much longer as someone's already 'subject to contract' so to speak.

Besides - you'll have got them cheap hob nobs from Aldi and you'll only try to swap them for my McVities the minute my back's turned..........................

I would ![/quote]
:) Oh well - was rather a long way to go from Bognor!

Bugger - sorry mate but it does look like I just sold it. However - if you're in Wakey and as nobody else other than the buyer have PMed me I suppose you have 2nd dibs if it falls through.

Do we know each other by the way??

D

Mate of mine runs an 'open mic' at the Hop off Westgate on Mon nights - lot of school leaver/studenty types go. Might just suit you. No pressure to play if you don't want but a welcoming atmos and you'll meet a lot of like minded young hombres - some with larger than average breasts should you like that sort of thing.

His name's Ryan - he's a teacher at King's in Ponte - nice bloke. If you go , tell him Dave says he was very sorry to hear of his full recovery from swine flu because if he'd croaked I might have got his Ampeg!!

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='560733' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:45 PM']hahaha, you're as funny on BC as you are IRL.[/quote]

Which is strange because most folk think I'm a rough-as-f**k , gobby , opinionated , fat cu........

Though my wife says I'm not fat.

I might check that out at some point. I'm a jazzer so I'm usually the musical reject amongst other musicians of my age. I'm going to East Riding college to study to get a jazz diploma which should be good but I think my bass geetars might not get to do much talking. I've got a feeling they're gona be all about the double bass. I'm ok with that but meh...

Let me know if the buyer for your bass falls through :).

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='560744' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:55 PM']I might check that out at some point. I'm a jazzer so I'm usually the musical reject amongst other musicians of my age. I'm going to East Riding college to study to get a jazz diploma which should be good but I think my bass geetars might not get to do much talking. I've got a feeling they're gona be all about the double bass. I'm ok with that but meh...

Let me know if the buyer for your bass falls through :).[/quote]

I certainly will Gnash - Ryan's not a jazzer but he's a big fan of it , lots of jazz influences in his playing - he'd be made up if you showed up. Bit's of jazzy stuff in his own acoustic solo set - Georgie Fame etc. You get yourself there , let me know when and I'll turn up and introduce you to the people etc.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='560748' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:00 PM']I certainly will Gnash - Ryan's not a jazzer but he's a big fan of it , lots of jazz influences in his playing - he'd be made up if you showed up. Bit's of jazzy stuff in his own acoustic solo set - Georgie Fame etc. You get yourself there , let me know when and I'll turn up and introduce you to the people etc.[/quote]

I'll try and get down there. I'll bring the band mates with me and we might play a little tune :). I'll shoot you a PM and let you know when I'll be down there.

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='560754' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:07 PM']I'll try and get down there. I'll bring the band mates with me and we might play a little tune :). I'll shoot you a PM and let you know when I'll be down there.[/quote]

F**k , yeh.

If I get Ry a jazz combo on I'll be on free drinks all night !!!

There's a basic PA - possibly a guitar combo and maybe his Ampeg - in fact I just bought an Ampeg combo , I'll let you break it in if Ryan's isn't there.

BTW - if your 'band' is a band as such - ie if you can do a couple of 45 min sets - maybe we can do better than the open mic. at some point. Ry and moi have 'influence' at the Hop.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='560760' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:16 PM']F**k , yeh.

If I get Ry a jazz combo on I'll be on free drinks all night !!!

There's a basic PA - possibly a guitar combo and maybe his Ampeg - in fact I just bought an Ampeg combo , I'll let you break it in if Ryan's isn't there.

BTW - if your 'band' is a band as such - ie if you can do a couple of 45 min sets - maybe we can do better than the open mic. at some point. Ry and moi have 'influence' at the Hop.[/quote]

Sounds great. As part of my diploma we have to have a band and play gigs around the country. I know a couple of guys starting the course in September. I reckon that by October we'll have a band that's ready to be "heard". It'd be a great if you could get us a gig. We all play pretty mainstream contemporary jazz, mainly originals and it's probably going to stay in that area. I duno whether that's the kinda thing your after. We could play 10 mins at the open mic later in the year and then you can make a decision from there. I'll stay in touch, I think I need a contact like you.

Thanks a bunch.

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='560786' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:52 PM']Sounds great. As part of my diploma we have to have a band and play gigs around the country. I know a couple of guys starting the course in September. I reckon that by October we'll have a band that's ready to be "heard". It'd be a great if you could get us a gig. We all play pretty mainstream contemporary jazz, mainly originals and it's probably going to stay in that area. I duno whether that's the kinda thing your after. We could play 10 mins at the open mic later in the year and then you can make a decision from there. I'll stay in touch, I think I need a contact like you.

Thanks a bunch.[/quote]

Just don't play Summertime :)

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='560786' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:52 PM']Sounds great. As part of my diploma we have to have a band and play gigs around the country. I know a couple of guys starting the course in September. I reckon that by October we'll have a band that's ready to be "heard". It'd be a great if you could get us a gig. We all play pretty mainstream contemporary jazz, mainly originals and it's probably going to stay in that area. I duno whether that's the kinda thing your after. We could play 10 mins at the open mic later in the year and then you can make a decision from there. I'll stay in touch, I think I need a contact like you.

Thanks a bunch.[/quote]

Gnash - I can get you a gig when you're ready , maybe it'll be the Hop as it's a great place with interested management , but it won't be anywhere where young bands get taken advantage of by pricks. Been there, done that , grew older , got the T shirt that says 'don't f**k with me because I'm the bigger b*****d' !!!

Less cynical or crusty - and probably a better natural contact for you - is Ryan himself. He does a lot for guys forming bands during music courses as part of his job. He's had a couple of them on with my shower and we've had a ball with them.

You come and see us , mate - we'll see what we can do to help.

[quote name='OldGit' post='560813' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:42 AM']Just don't play Summertime :)[/quote]

Not much point in this country!

I saw a guitar player the other week wearing a T shirt that said 'Scattered showers my arse' - belter!