Why become a member? ×

English Muff'n with the bass

hookys6stringbass

Yup, i've been using one for a good while now. They're good imo. Pretty meaty. There's a sound clip in this other post of mine.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=56045&view=findpost&p=556301"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=556301[/url]

I've been using it for gigs for the last 4 months or so. Very impressed with the overall sound. Since its a tube pedal it seems to react well to the dynamics of your playing rather than giving off a constant fuzz like some other pedals. You can switch the tubes as well to suit your sound. I think its better for more gentle overdrive rather than full on fuzz, but it can do both really well.

However, it is pretty bulky, I'm not convinced by the placement or design of the power source and I'm not too sure how its going to last in the long term in terms of build quality. Also, the on/off switch tends to work with a loud click on pressed on and off, which can be annoying when turning the pedal off during a quiet part when the drummer isn't playing! I don't know if anybody else has had this problem, but it has been an issue for me, I actually returned the first Muff'n I got because the on/off click was [i]really[/i] loud, the second has performed better but is far from flawless!

That said, for the general sound, I was totally impressed and since its a 'mostly always on' pedal when I'm doing a rock gig (which are most of my gigs) I can live with it. Would have liked to have tested it against the EBS Valvedrive, but the EBS pedals aren't in any shops in Glasgow, which leaves me almost having to buy them to try them, which I'm not going to do.

When I had a DHA VT-1 EQ Drive thingy, I also tried the Muff'n at a music shop, and it seemed to lack a lot of the power and overall tone that the DHA had. Hard to explain, but I knew straight away when I turned the Muff'n on, the DHA was a lot better. Just my two penneth.

[quote name='umcoo' post='564011' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:00 AM']When I had a DHA VT-1 EQ Drive thingy, I also tried the Muff'n at a music shop, and it seemed to lack a lot of the power and overall tone that the DHA had. Hard to explain, but I knew straight away when I turned the Muff'n on, the DHA was a lot better. Just my two penneth.[/quote]
The DHA isn't valve clipping though its diodes ;<

[quote name='umph' post='564617' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:26 AM']The DHA isn't valve clipping though its diodes ;<[/quote]

I think a few people get confused over this one.

In all the VT1 and VT2 pedals when not in by-pass the valve or valves are on all the time and hence there is soft clipping which is what valves do. On the VT1-MK3 model there is also a Si and Ge switch, this does not switch the vlave off but does add Si or Ge diode clipping to the existing valve tone.

I hope that helps

[quote name='DHA' post='564666' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:21 AM']I think a few people get confused over this one.

In all the VT1 and VT2 pedals when not in by-pass the valve or valves are on all the time and hence there is soft clipping which is what valves do. On the VT1-MK3 model there is also a Si and Ge switch, this does not switch the vlave off but does add Si or Ge diode clipping to the existing valve tone.

I hope that helps[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up Dave. I was pretty sure the DHA did have valve clipping. Anyhoot...to the OP, if you can stretch a bit more for a DHA you shall be rewarded with IMO, better tonezz :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love English Muff'n (the pedal too :) )
Ok enough of the yuks. I got mine for a song ($100 US) and man best buy I ever made.
Yes it's big, yes the wall wart is a pain but the tone you can get by switching tubes is outstanding.
I must respectfully disagree with a pervious poster, fuzz=yes, put some 12AX7's in it and crank the gain, sweet.
I use it for my bass and guitar, not sure which one I like it on better.
Get a used one, not because it's not worth the price new, because why pay full pull if you don't have to.
If mine ever gives it up, I'm going to get another one!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='589620' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:13 PM']Well i've finally got round to getting the the English muff'n.... superb bit of kit just what I wanted! I've been experimenting with settings anyone got any they'd like to share????
Thanks[/quote]

I've revoiced the EQ section (changed the capacitors) on mine for bass i.e. same as Alembic F1X, Trace V-series, BBE Bmax-T. Just need to put it all back together now.

[quote name='obbm' post='589626' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:18 PM']I've revoiced the EQ section (changed the capacitors) on mine for bass i.e. same as Alembic F1X, Trace V-series, BBE Bmax-T. Just need to put it all back together now.[/quote]

Whhhhhhat???? Now you've got me interested!! I've love the Alembic pre amps and i've always regretted selling my F2-B. Love to hear your thoughts on it once you've got a back together.

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='589695' date='Sep 4 2009, 02:26 PM']Whhhhhhat???? Now you've got me interested!! Love to hear your thoughts on it once you've got a back together.[/quote]

+1 :)