Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass Pedals

ciel

I've got an electro-acoustic bass, which does nicely for most stuff I play, however, I need to play something with a bit more power to it and wondered if anyone has ever used pedals with this type of guitar? I was thinking of a chorus and overdrive pedal. Would it work (I realise that the guitar doesn't really look the part for rock music, but I can live with that if it means I don't have to buy an additional guitar!).
Thanks.

It will work but any gain pedals (OD, distortion, etc) or delay (and possibly others) will increase the chance of feedback with an acoustic instrument- the other night I put my girlfriend's acoustic guitar through distortion/delay to sound like a cranked 5150 amp and it just fed back constantly, through nothing more than my hi-fi speakers.

Never used an electro acoustic, and I'm not very gizmo-savvy in this context, but I always use a preamp (fishman pro-eq platinum) with my acoustic upright - if it's just more punch you're after, maybe something like that would work?

I've done it, but I think blocking the soundhole would have helped. I had to angle myself away from my amp, turn it down, and put my noise gate on. At lower volumes it shouldn't be too bad. We've recently done a lot of guitars on an album i'm making by playing an electro acoustic into a distorted practice amp and we've had no feedback issues (standing very close to the amp)