Why become a member? ×

Which Pickup?

Mama Hong

Hello All
I have just purchased my first "proper" double bass. A gorgeous old Markneukirchen. I've had it set up structurally the way I want it, nice end pin, a light tail piece and new set of Eva Pirastro strings and she sounds oh just delicious. The projection is so that I have actually been able to play some of the more intimate gigs fully acoustic. Of course I can't do this with all of them and now it is time to look at investing in a decent pickup. I have used the fishman BP100 until now but its just not gonna cut it on this new bass. I want something to replicate the acoustics of the bass, not the strings. I am pushed towards the full circle by everyone I have spoken to but I was hoping that some of you guys may be able to throw some of your experience and expertise my way. I play both Arco and Pizz in the same set and so need that balance of sound between both styles...cheers Mama Hong.

Try a realist (fits between bridge and top) but don't forget a good preamp (eg. EBS, D-Tar, Raven Labs)- all piezo's need one...even the best pickup will not sound right on most bassamps without it. I use an Underwood pickup myself, combined with a simple Rebel Pickups preamp which is a simple Don Tillman designed circuit that freely circulates on the Internet (the schematics that is). Rebel also makes Realist style pickups for little money but I can't comment on the quality.

It's sometimes a never ending journey to get your bass amplified the way you like. If you're not playing in very loud situations then you might consider some kind of mic setup like the ATM350 mixed with a pickup.

Have a look [url="http://www.doublebassguide.com/?page_id=21"]at this list[/url]. Not sure how old it is but it gives you an idea of whats out there.

Good luck on your mission :)

I have no experience of it but the one that seems to really wow people with it's dedication to the natural tones is the Schertler, not cheap, but then I'm guessing neither was your bass :)
I use an Underwood on my ply bass and a Realist on my Blockless Wonder, both through a Fishman Platinum Pro. Happy with both but there's always a little bit of something missing.
Jake

Great list!

[quote name='TPJ' post='553527' date='Jul 28 2009, 08:25 AM']It's sometimes a never ending journey to get your bass amplified the way you like. If you're not playing in very loud situations then you might consider some kind of mic setup like the ATM350 mixed with a pickup.

Have a look [url="http://www.doublebassguide.com/?page_id=21"]at this list[/url]. Not sure how old it is but it gives you an idea of whats out there.

Good luck on your mission :)[/quote]

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='553774' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:01 PM']Great list![/quote]
It is indeed a great resource. However I think the OP wanted some guidance on what people generally reckon to be good pickups, and the list has probably added to the confusion more than it's helped :)

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='553904' date='Jul 28 2009, 01:31 PM']It is indeed a great resource. However I think the OP wanted some guidance on what people generally reckon to be good pickups, and the list has probably added to the confusion more than it's helped :)

Andy[/quote]
:rolleyes: maybe so. Sorry.

Getting the right pickup/mic for DB has always been a "suck it and see" affair, at least in my case.

I currently use an Upton Revolution 2. It can get a really nice sound but is temperamental in that if you knock it at all, the tone will change. You have to sand down the pup and the wing slot to fit it which is a bit fiddly. I've never had any working issues with it though in the 2+ years using it. It's comparable to the Realist but maybe not as dark sounding.

I've also tried shoving a SM57 in the bridge feet with some success but it feeds back at a relatively low stage volume.

The Vektor pickup is very interesting in that it's an adjustable contact mike. That may be my next trial when I can save a few bob.

Ive gone through so many pickups/mics in the past year. Ive settled on the Schertler DYN-B with the preamp and powered speaker. It cost a fair bit, but im really pleased with the sound. I found the STAT-B to be really good also, but ive noticed that the Schertler stuff dosent work on everyones bass as standard.

The Realist pickup seems to offer a pretty striaght forward, no mesing about option (i just dont like it at medium/high volumes). Ive still got my realist on my bass as a back up and am usually pleased with it when i use it. I know a couple of bass players that blend the realist with thw schertler dyn-b and get a great sound, but its a bit of money to spend...
Havent tried the full circle, but i know its highly regarded and some of my favourite players get a great sound with it..

[quote name='gcordez' post='554162' date='Jul 28 2009, 04:53 PM']Ive gone through so many pickups/mics in the past year. Ive settled on the Schertler DYN-B with the preamp and powered speaker. It cost a fair bit, but im really pleased with the sound. I found the STAT-B to be really good also, but ive noticed that the Schertler stuff dosent work on everyones bass as standard.

The Realist pickup seems to offer a pretty striaght forward, no mesing about option (i just dont like it at medium/high volumes). Ive still got my realist on my bass as a back up and am usually pleased with it when i use it. I know a couple of bass players that blend the realist with thw schertler dyn-b and get a great sound, but its a bit of money to spend...
Havent tried the full circle, but i know its highly regarded and some of my favourite players get a great sound with it..[/quote]

Cheers Guys, you've all been much help...Some guy has offered me a realist at an alright price so I'll give it a whirl. I also have a fishman pro platinum so I might just have it sorted with this combo. never found that preamp effects much though...