Why become a member? ×

noisy amp!

Changles

so i've got a hartke lh 500 going through the errr hydrive 115, great half stack, really love the sound i'm getting out of it, but there is a hiss, and i want to get rid of it in time for recording, which is this saturday

am i right in guessing that a noise suppressor only gets rid of noise from the pedals?
if so, what am i to do?

thanks,
charles

[quote name='Changles' post='548673' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:02 AM']so i've got a hartke lh 500 going through the errr hydrive 115, great half stack, really love the sound i'm getting out of it, but there is a hiss, and i want to get rid of it in time for recording, which is this saturday

am i right in guessing that a noise suppressor only gets rid of noise from the pedals?
if so, what am i to do?

thanks,
charles[/quote]

Do you have a noisy amp or a noisy pedalboard?

I have both. When I recorded with them, I used a noise gate on the pedal board, recorded DI of dry bass, DI of pedal board, mic'd the amp(s) and low-passed them.

[quote name='Changles' post='548816' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:39 PM']low passing sounds like the best option.......but does that remove or cloud any of the high end? i like a real bright sound y'see[/quote]

Unfortunately yes, that's how it works. Does the DI hiss as much as the power amp out?

Alex

This is why I use a Bass POD... I had a TNT150 when I was starting out, and the hiss direct was huge! My Warwick Pro IX head has masses of hiss when on the tube channel (well, they're tubes, fer chrissake) but the clean is silent.

This did lead to a hysterical happening at a Gig in Reading arts centre: I set up as usual - I prefer the tube channel for a little more edge in my Funk - and the sound engineer said "wow, there's masses of hiss, can you cut it down?" - I fiddled a bit and got "no, it's still there, we'll use a DI box instead of the Amp DI out" (the back of this amp is like a space shuttle dashboard). He plugged it in, it made no difference.

Until I flicked to solid state and said "how's that?" and he said "wow, how did you do that?" :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='548822' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:42 PM']Unfortunately yes, that's how it works. Does the DI hiss as much as the power amp out?[/quote]

i wouldn't know, the amp is still quite new, and it has not yet been DI'd... but i'd really rather mic up the cab cause it really does sound awesome despite its hissing..

Always record a DI as well anyway, you could end up with a much better sound. Make sure to record a DI of your clean bass, as well as a DI out of your pedals. Use seperate DI boxes, don't use the DI on your amp.

Depending on the type of music and mix, you probably won't be able to hear the hiss in the mix anyway, and if you can. a decent engineer will EQ it out for you.

[quote name='Changles' post='548873' date='Jul 23 2009, 01:20 PM']i wouldn't know, the amp is still quite new, and it has not yet been DI'd... but i'd really rather mic up the cab cause it really does sound awesome despite its hissing...[/quote]

I'd definitely take a DI as well, or even instead of (you can always re-amp if need be).

Hiss is just one of those things that is rather expensive to avoid. My Avalon U5 has absolutely none but it wasn't cheap and it isn't small. Fortunately I can almost guarantee that any hiss from your bass amp will be overshadowed by the hiss from the guitar amp! :)

Alex

[quote name='Changles' post='548673' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:02 AM']so i've got a hartke lh 500 going through the errr hydrive 115, great half stack, really love the sound i'm getting out of it, but there is a hiss, and i want to get rid of it in time for recording, which is this saturday[/quote]Most studios will take a DI only if they have a lack of available channels, using the amp only as a monitor. If they've got the channels they may mic the cab onto a spare. Don't count on your 'signature tone' ending up in the final mix. Even The Ox couldn't get his tone onto the wax.