Why become a member? ×

6 string basses....

Rumble

I've just picked up a 6 string for a second attempt (the first failed onyl because the bass wasn't comfortable for me).

The first 6 string I got I gigged with it immediately (was playing 4 strings primarily at the time, though had played 5ers for years previously).

I think there's a perception that there's a difficulty curve from 4 to 5 to 6 but I don't believe that to be the case. Most of the playing techniques you'll use are the same across the three instruments. 6 string isn't more difficult, it's just different. There is a learning curve in terms of getting your fingers/pick/thumb used to finding the notes you have grown comfortable playing on your 4/5 string, but we're talking a matter of hours if you practive regularly not months.

Yes there are new notes and arpeggios and scales and modes available to you with the extra string(s), but there's no law that says you have to know all of these on a 4 string bass before you're allowed out to play so why should it be different for 6ers?

In terms of techniques, a six string does open up the possibility of new horizons in terms of chordal playing which are a lot more restricted on a 4 or 5, there's also the whole flamenco type approach which makes a lot more sense on a 6 string.

It can be daunting when you pick up that 6 for the first time and you may even get frustrated because the extra strings will 'cause you to flub lines that you can play easily on whatever bass you were used to, but stick with it, slow your playing down a bit until you stop making the gaff and with a few hours of regular practice you'll be fine.

Just remember, it's not harder, it's just different.

Ultimately for me, what will determine whether I end up playing 5 or 6 (or more) string will be how comfortable I am physically with the size of the 6 and if I can find the time to learn and make use of the additional possibilites it offers.

I don't think there's anything to be gained by the line of thinking which has a 6 string player being better than a 4 string player or the antithesis of that which sees 4 string players saying "Well if it was good enough for Jamerson..." when confronted withthe idea of a non-four string bass.

Geddy Lee does amazing things with a 4 string bass playing in essentially the same genre as John Myung who does equally amazing things on a 6 string bass. Jamerson did ungodly things on a 4 string bass, but Anthony Jackson, who has taken much of his inspiration from Jamerson, does equally astonding things on a 6 string.

It's all about what lets you express yourself best. If you can paint a beautiful picture using red, white and blue then more power to you; but if you get a hankering for a splash of green or gold, why restrict yourself when that palette is available? You might have more shades and colours to choose from, but it's all just paint in the end.

Glad to hear you're going straight for the 6...

I found that when I got my first 6 (I had it de-fretted immediately as well), the excitement and challenge of the new instrument made me want to play it more. The more I wanted to play it, the more I practiced and the quicker I got better. Like others here I jumped from 4 to a 6, bypassing a 5 string..

(This probably goes for any new bass, but especially when the new instrument is so much different from what you are used to..).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Frank :)
Good to hear you're going for the 6 string!
17mm seems to be the standard spacing on alot of 5 and 6 string basses, only the neck is wider on the 6. I have seen basses with spacing as narrow as 16mm but its all about what makes you comfortable. Scale length, again its about what makes you comfortable. 35" scale is often the standard length for 5 and 6 string basses but you may find the high C string is a little strangled, particularly if you use light strings. On the other hand, you may find the pitch definition on your low B string (unless you E.Q your sound to bring out the higher frequencies) will deteriorate a little on a 34" scale bass. Pickups, im a fan of soapbars myself. But whatever layout gives you the sound you're looking for. on 6 strings they seem to be either soapbars or J pickups.
Be sure and try as many basses as you possibly can and see what sounds and feels best for you!
hope this helps!
Ben