Why become a member? ×

My sons first composition

Jezyorkshire

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_cwyA-PoQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_cwyA-PoQ[/url]

This is my 12 year old sons first composition with some accompaniement from me on the big bass, any comments welcome on either of us or as a whole or whatever, hope you like it, cheers, Jez

Well done ! If that is your first effort, you should be very proud.
If there is one thing i think you should think about, its the idea of contrast. If you can come up with something else that's maybe in the same tempo, but perhaps in a contrasting key, and maybe with a change of rhythmic emphasis, you could slot it in halfway to give the piece a lift - or the other trick is to play the same music but in a different key (maybe a semitone higher ? for instance).
Composition is a very personal thing - and I wouldn't want to sound as if I am being critical - far from it - I think you show great promise. But if you are going to take composition to the next stage, you need to look at what all the great writers do. And in most cases. its that notion of contrasting one idea with another that will take you forward in your development.

Keep up the good work ! Try to write something - however short - every day. Composing takes practice just like learning an instrument.

The Major