Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a spare bow?

ardi100

Hi,

As I'll have 7 weeks off for summer, I want to have a go at bowing. I'd really like to try it out before committing to buying one so I'm wondering if anyone has a spare one floating around that they could lend.

I'm expecting it would be a cheap one (maybe a first one that you've since upgraded) and not a work of art.

If I'm out of order, please let me know. I'm in SE London but can travel to get it.

Thanks.

Adrian

Hi Adrian

There are some amazing deals on ebay for bows. I bought 2 Chinese bows last year for £40 each including shipping. And they are perfectly usable.

If then you decide to buy a better quality bow, you would then have a spare !

And IMO all DB players should learn to use a bow even if you rarely perform with it. They are great for checking intonation.

The Major

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='543064' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:35 AM']Hi Adrian

There are some amazing deals on ebay for bows. I bought 2 Chinese bows last year for £40 each including shipping. And they are perfectly usable.

If then you decide to buy a better quality bow, you would then have a spare !

And IMO all DB players should learn to use a bow even if you rarely perform with it. They are great for checking intonation.

The Major[/quote]

Thanks Major,

Do you know what brand they were? I'll check them out.

Adrian

[quote name='ardi100' post='543080' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:53 AM']Thanks Major,

Adrian[/quote]
I bought one of [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-4-4-DOUBLE-BASS-CONTRABASS-STRINGS-HORSE-HAIR-BOW_W0QQitemZ150294102829"]these[/url] a few weeks ago and it for the price it is great. A good introductory bow. Excellent service as well, very well packed and prompt.

Seems to be (with my limited ability) - I checked on here whether I should get a 4/4 or a 3/4 considering the Stagg was a 3/4 and was advised to get a 4/4. So I did :rolleyes:

I have found a bass teacher near me who teaches BG but also plays DB, so I am hoping to pick up some tips from him. First lesson next week :)

[quote name='ardi100' post='543080' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:53 AM']Thanks Major,

Adrian[/quote]
The one that bythesea pointed to is like the ones I bought. Fantastic value. You can't go wrong for a starter bow.
Bows can go up to several thousand pounds for a top quality item. But my favourite bow at the moment is a Paesold which I paid £150 for several years ago. Also got a Paesold 2 star which was £1000 but I prefer the cheaper one !

And the bass size (ie 3/4 or 4/4) is totally irrelevant to the bow. Bows come in various lengths and weights and its entirely down to personal preference which you use.

I'd go for the cheap Chinese one for now and if you like using it , get something better later on as your playing progresses.

The Major

[quote name='bythesea' post='543147' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:47 PM']Seems to be (with my limited ability) - I checked on here whether I should get a 4/4 or a 3/4 considering the Stagg was a 3/4 and was advised to get a 4/4. So I did :rolleyes:

I have found a bass teacher near me who teaches BG but also plays DB, so I am hoping to pick up some tips from him. First lesson next week :)[/quote]
Good luck with your first lesson, bythesea. Let us know how you get on.

The Major