Why become a member? ×

Playing rut

Jam

I've spent a lot of time focusing on other things recently, had a bit of an upheaval (going back to Japan) and as such bass has fallen a bit by the wayside, apart from at band practices. I've also been focusing more on my other instrument, shakuhachi, as that gives me more pleasure when I play.

I want that love again, that feeling when you play a bass line properly and it just makes you feel all warm inside! Whenever I pick up my bass I play the same stuff, get annoyed with myself and then that makes my playing worse.

Sorry if that sounds a little unclear, I'm sure someone somewhere knows what I mean!

Any tips?

Do you have a sequencer / hard-disk recorder available?

Program a simple drum loop, record the first thing that comes into your head on bass - the "typical" comfortable groove you're so tired of playing.

Then stick the quantise snap on, shift the bass part a semiquaver in either direction and play it back. Ooh, interesting new groove! Try chopping bits up and putting them in different places. Ooh!

Like, yeah.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='542758' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:27 PM']Sometimes I dig out albums that I listened to 25 years ago and still love ( usually Rush ) Then work out all the bass lines I loved before I played bass.[/quote]

Actually yeah listening to some old Jam stuff today I noticed things Bruce Foxton did that I never noticed when I was a teenager. It was pretty inspiring. Makes you realise that you can probably get away with more than you think, without it sounding like anything's wrong in the bass department.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='542770' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:46 PM']Actually yeah listening to some old Jam stuff today I noticed things Bruce Foxton did that I never noticed when I was a teenager. It was pretty inspiring. Makes you realise that you can probably get away with more than you think, without it sounding like anything's wrong in the bass department.[/quote]

From 1979 until 1985 I played all my bass on an assortment of badminton rackets. It was a great start ... and eventually prepared me for the real thing

:rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :D ;) :wub: :) :brow:

Use Spotify Radio in a genre and era you don't normally play and play along. Save anything you like to a play list.
Loads of possibilities

Playing with other people- and their choices - is a great way to broaden things and get out of a rut.

Go back to your favourite tunes and learn the line of another instrument or the vocals, the backing vocals, or even the drum parts as ghost notes on different strings EG kick on the E, hi hat on the G, etc

[quote name='Jam' post='542725' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:00 PM']I want that love again, that feeling when you play a bass line properly and it just makes you feel all warm inside! Whenever I pick up my bass I play the same stuff, get annoyed with myself and then that makes my playing worse.

Sorry if that sounds a little unclear, I'm sure someone somewhere knows what I mean![/quote]
That's exactly how I've been feeling about my bass playing for a good few years now.
Unfortunately there are 1000 other things in my life need attending to before I can even consider getting a bass out of it's case, let alone playing it, so I've done nothing about it.

[quote name='RhysP' post='542850' date='Jul 17 2009, 06:28 AM']That's exactly how I've been feeling about my bass playing for a good few years now.
Unfortunately there are 1000 other things in my life need attending to before I can even consider getting a bass out of it's case, let alone playing it, so I've done nothing about it.[/quote]

Get up 15 minutes earlier and play for 10 mins per day.

Thanks guys!!

I've been up since 10 and playing. Spotify is awesome!

I've managed to make myself smile playing bass for the first time in ages. I think it's a combination of being a bit more cheerful and getting other problems out of the way first. I guess having things on your mind really takes its toll on your playing.

I love this place. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='543044' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:12 AM']Get up 15 minutes earlier and play for 10 mins per day.[/quote]
I really wouldn't feel like playing bass at 4.15am, and my partner wouldn't be too happy either....... :)

i find after listening and watching a bass man doing a great job i want to get my bass out and just noodle areound when i get home
listening to some jazz and cuban music makes me want to play as well..viva buena vista..!!
make the rut a groove if you can...

[quote name='silddx' post='542746' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:19 AM']I started playing arpeggio lines to match vocal rhythms, I get a great kick out of it and boy, does it support the vocal - and it's a good playing challenge. I'm so enjoying playing at the moment :)[/quote]

Sounds interesting, matey - is there any chance, you post some vid showing this in Youtube?

Cheers,
Faith.

[quote name='RhysP' post='543357' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:29 PM']I really wouldn't feel like playing bass at 4.15am, and my partner wouldn't be too happy either....... :)[/quote]

I'd have problems finding my way to the bathroom at that time of the morning let alone play bass :rolleyes: