Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle palm muting

BottomEndian

Erm, what the thread title says. How do you palm mute when playing fingerstyle? I can do it if I use my thumb to pluck, but I can only play index/middle by contorting my hand and wrist into an unnatural shape. I sort of end up plucking outwards, away from the body of the bass, especially on the E and A strings (and presumably B if I tried it on my 5-string). :)

Any tips? Or do I give up and use my thumb?

When I'm palm muting I generally use my thumb and two fingers to pluck-with the thumb usually playing the lower strings-it is
,i think,very similar to using Banjo technique(Scruggs style). Its all just a matter of practice. I've often play in a similar way without
palm muting as I find it quite comfortable now.
Check out some videos of Janek Gwizdala-he plays that way quite a bit.

With finger style plucking you don't mute strings with the palm of your right hand. As you've found out it can't be done. You can mute with a combination of floating thumb on your right hand, bringing your plucking fingers to rest on the next string and by using the unused fingers on your left hand.

For muting whilst doing normal fingerstyle, I straighten my right hand pinky and lower it onto the strings near the bridge to act as a movable mute (like the foam inserts on old P-basses). It does cause some slight extra tension in my hand, but it allows me to play muted lines but with normal fingerstyle.

Mark

[quote name='Doddy' post='542307' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:23 PM']When I'm palm muting I generally use my thumb and two fingers to pluck-with the thumb usually playing the lower strings-it is
,i think,very similar to using Banjo technique(Scruggs style). Its all just a matter of practice. I've often play in a similar way without
palm muting as I find it quite comfortable now.
Check out some videos of Janek Gwizdala-he plays that way quite a bit.[/quote]
Sweet. That sounds like it might work for me. I used to play a bit of alternating-thumb style guitar, back in the day, so I could adjust to that pretty easily.

[quote name='chris_b' post='542314' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:27 PM']With finger style plucking you don't mute strings with the palm of your right hand. As you've found out it can't be done. You can mute with a combination of floating thumb on your right hand, bringing your plucking fingers to rest on the next string and by using the unused fingers on your left hand.[/quote]
I think you're talking about general string muting, rather than the palm-mute effect. Thanks for the reminder though -- I always need to work on my muting!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='542321' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:32 PM']For muting whilst doing normal fingerstyle, I straighten my right hand pinky and lower it onto the strings near the bridge to act as a movable mute (like the foam inserts on old P-basses). It does cause some slight extra tension in my hand, but it allows me to play muted lines but with normal fingerstyle.

Mark[/quote]
That sounds like an awesome idea. I'll be testing that one out.

Thanks, guys. Just wanted to check I was on the right track. :)