Why become a member? ×

upgrading my jaguar pickups

Hey all, im seriously thinking about upgrading my fender jaguar pickups,,, only problem is i dont know if im wasting my money as it sounds ok as is,,,but as you guys know upgrading is always at the back of your mind.

So my question is, does anyone know if the jags pickups are worth upgrading and if so what pickups would be an upgrade?

cheers
steven

The pickups in the Jag are probably its weakest link, they're the cheap ceramic type (Fender trying to save money) that come on Squire's and MIM's. I went with some Fender CS '60's pups, these and Fralins would be my first choice for vintage, Nordstrand's for a more modern sound. Another plus is that the new pups REALLY improved the sound of the active circuit, which was a bit harsh before imo and sounds very nice now.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='543837' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:26 AM']any input regarding seymour duncan pups, everyone i speak with raves about them!!!![/quote]

Have a look at [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/"]Wizard Pickups[/url]. Cheaper and better than seymours and British as well :)

I got my Jaguar a couple of years ago already upgraded with Kent Armstrong Lipstick pickups (and a Badass bridge) from Steve Norris from the forum. The KA Lipstick PUs are a good improvement on the stock PUs, these have a warmer and punchier sound than the stock ones, also look great and go with the retro look of the Jaguar bass.

I have been tempted to fit Wizards (84s) and a black pickguard for an all black look and a change

Cheers
Joao

[quote name='baixo' post='543955' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:27 PM']I got my Jaguar a couple of years ago already upgraded with Kent Armstrong Lipstick pickups (and a Badass bridge) from Steve Norris from the forum. The KA Lipstick PUs are a good improvement on the stock PUs, these have a warmer and punchier sound than the stock ones, also look great and go with the retro look of the Jaguar bass.

I have been tempted to fit Wizards (84s) and a black pickguard for an all black look and a change

Cheers
Joao[/quote]

Please please please sell me those KA Lipsticks. Please?

Dan

• 11 months later...

Hate revive this old thread but seems silly making another.

I want to upgrade the pickups to suit a active pre amp and still sound the bees knees through the passive tone control.

I'm assuming that a good start would be the Seymour Duncan quarte pounders?

This also brings to another point about the jag bass. That pre-amp, the bass is naff but the treble sounds ok, but the pots are crap, on mine anyway it feels more on/off than a gradual progression.

Any ideas how to upgrade these?

Johnny Marr's main stage and recording guitar these days is his Olympic White Jaguar which has pickups in there wound by Bare Knuckle Pickups - might be worth contacting them?

[url="http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/"]http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/[/url]