Why become a member? ×

35" Scale

geoffbyrne

I've recently bought a s/h Cirrus BXP V with which I am very pleased.

However.

I have a set of Roto 555s in the drawer and on presenting them to the 35" scale on the Cirrus, I find the silk would be below the nut, even though the Rotos are marked 'LO' which I assume is long.

There's a set of DR HiBeams on it at the moment (black silk) which are OK but certainly not fresh, but I like them along with the Roto 55 Compressors which I have on my passive Jazz.

Advice on string length from the 35" warriors her, please? What's the right length/string to buy?

Geoff

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='541034' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:08 AM']I've recently bought a s/h Cirrus BXP V with which I am very pleased.

However.

I have a set of Roto 555s in the drawer and on presenting them to the 35" scale on the Cirrus, I find the silk would be below the nut, even though the Rotos are marked 'LO' which I assume is long.

There's a set of DR HiBeams on it at the moment (black silk) which are OK but certainly not fresh, but I like them along with the Roto 55 Compressors which I have on my passive Jazz.

Advice on string length from the 35" warriors her, please? What's the right length/string to buy?

Geoff[/quote]
Trouble is with basses, "long" is standard 34" scale, and not strung through the body. The Cirrus strings through the body, doesn't it? That adds an extra complication. Well, an extra inch or so to an already long scale.

No experience with them myself, but I've heard DRs are generally OK on a 35", and they obviously are for your Cirrus, what with it having a set on. I use D'Addario Chromes on my 35" Ibanez, largely because they do a "Super Long" scale set just for people like us. Trouble is, there's only one gauge of super-long 5-string sets in each D'Addario range, so if you don't want 45-130, you're boned. :)

I usually use Picato these days, no probs on 35" scale (Overwater and Guild) although neither is through-strung. Picato will also do custom things if neccessary.
Flats, halfrounds, black nylons :) they do the lot.
We sell them in the shop as well, so I could measure some for you if you know the ball end to nut length.

[quote name='hubrad' post='541100' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:01 AM']I usually use Picato these days, no probs on 35" scale (Overwater and Guild) although neither is through-strung. Picato will also do custom things if neccessary.
Flats, halfrounds, black nylons :) they do the lot.
We sell them in the shop as well, so I could measure some for you if you know the ball end to nut length.[/quote]

Thanks for that info. I'm not *quite* ready to change the strings, but it won't be long.

When I am, I'll take off a string and measure the nut/ball-end length and get back to you.

Recently I put on a set of Rotos on another 5er - the new ones without the lion an the packaging. I can't remember the designation, but they didn't have any silk and look just long enough. Any experience with those? I think they are nickel and sound pretty good to me.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='541082' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:48 AM']Trouble is with basses, "long" is standard 34" scale, and not strung through the body. The Cirrus strings through the body, doesn't it? That adds an extra complication. Well, an extra inch or so to an already long scale.

No experience with them myself, but I've heard DRs are generally OK on a 35", and they obviously are for your Cirrus, what with it having a set on. I use D'Addario Chromes on my 35" Ibanez, largely because they do a "Super Long" scale set just for people like us. Trouble is, there's only one gauge of super-long 5-string sets in each D'Addario range, so if you don't want 45-130, you're boned. :)[/quote]

The Cirrus will string both through body and onto the bridge. It's currently through. When I have a string off I'll lay it against the bridge and compare where the 'kink' caused by the saddle is and maybe work out the difference - I'm pretty sure it won't be a lot.

Thanks for the info.

Geoff

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='541279' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:36 PM']Thanks for that info. I'm not *quite* ready to change the strings, but it won't be long.

When I am, I'll take off a string and measure the nut/ball-end length and get back to you.[/quote]

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='541281' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:37 PM']Thanks - that's handy to know. Any idea where I'd get hold of them?

G.[/quote]
No stress.
We also carry the Overwater strings (only S/S medium 5 string in as I type) or these are available from Overwater themselves.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='541281' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:37 PM']Thanks - that's handy to know. Any idea where I'd get hold of them?

G.[/quote]

Try: [url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/buy-strings-online.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/buy-strings-online.htm[/url] - you need extended scale.