Why become a member? ×

schack question

daflewis

Hi all,
I'm looking at aquiring a Schack fretless - a "unique" model i think it is, and in checking it all out i've found some interesting micro switches in the control cavity which appear to change the frequency response of the three tone controls (there are 4 switches for each tone pot, it seems) - does anyone have any more info on exactly how these work?

cheers,
Daf

I know Schack have been hard to find info on for a good while now, but I believe you can still find Andy Schack's email address online. If you email him you could well get a definitive answer. I'd recommend buying the bass though, since they're fairly rare (especially if it has a graphite neck). Once you have it, you can pretend you're Kai Eckhardt for as long as you please! :)

I have a Schack in my Sei bass and they're a great pre. The dip switches allow you set the frequency centre for bass, mid and treble separately which you can then cut or boost at your leisure using the tone controls on the bass. The frequency range is bass-100-300hz, mid-500hz-1.5k and treble-2k-8k

And the all important diagram which tells you the settings for each frequency centre-

Edited by jmanfunk

[quote name='whynot' post='540805' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:26 PM']Beat me to it. I have several of these diagrams somewhere in the garage from old Schack and SEIs.[/quote]

Think that was the first time I've managed to be a benefit rather than a hinderance on this forum :)

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='540808' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:28 PM']Think that was the first time I've managed to be a benefit rather than a hinderance on this forum :)[/quote]
I'm not a prolific poster so a rare chance for me to have done something useful as well.

well done and thank you..

I have a schack pre-amp and I asked Sei if they had a copy of this diagram... it appears they don't or are having trouble finding it more likely, so this is just what I was looking for..

Thanks again

Thanks to everyone - especially jmanfunk for the diagram - I'm glad I didn't carry on trying to work out the combinations for myself!! :)

jman, do the outlined ones have any special significance, or are they just a good place to start?
and it's interesting that there are gaps between 160hz-220hz and 4k-6k - just a factor of the circuit maybe?

BB2000, sorry you had a bad experience, i did read of some neck problems - stangely more with the carbon necks it seems!?
The one i'm looking at is all wood and is a few years old, so any problems should have come out by now. It's also got a lovely growl - almost as good as my old Warwick - and that's saying something! :rolleyes:

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='daflewis' post='541861' date='Jul 16 2009, 01:24 AM']Thanks to everyone - especially jmanfunk for the diagram - I'm glad I didn't carry on trying to work out the combinations for myself!! :)

jman, do the outlined ones have any special significance, or are they just a good place to start?
and it's interesting that there are gaps between 160hz-220hz and 4k-6k - just a factor of the circuit maybe?

BB2000, sorry you had a bad experience, i did read of some neck problems - stangely more with the carbon necks it seems!?
The one i'm looking at is all wood and is a few years old, so any problems should have come out by now. It's also got a lovely growl - almost as good as my old Warwick - and that's saying something! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yap, the highlighted frequencies seem to be recommended settings. When I intially started messing around with it, I just checked out the frequency settings on other well known pres like Sadowsky and worked off those. In the end I just went for what worked with my particular instrument. It's great fun working through various settings but then again I'm a nerd when it comes to that kind of stuff. :lol:

One word of advice is to have a pen and paper at the ready and take note of the current settings just in case :D

can't quite recall what mine are set to but I did have a good play around some time ago...

I like the sound enough so will take note of the settings but does anyone know what those highlighted settings refer to...

I think I will scoop the mids a tad and up the bass freq ...but like all these things best to keep the changes subtle and use the amp.

IIRC the cut and boost is + or -15db with the 18v supply....

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='542081' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:26 AM']Yap, the highlighted frequencies seem to be recommended settings. When I intially started messing around with it, I just checked out the frequency settings on other well known pres like Sadowsky and worked off those. In the end I just went for what worked with my particular instrument. It's great fun working through various settings but then again I'm a nerd when it comes to that kind of stuff. :rolleyes:[/quote]

yes, it is good working through the frequencies - another nerd here! :blush: mind you i've got AC-01 pre's in both my main basses and you've got to love playing with those!! :brow:

[quote]One word of advice is to have a pen and paper at the ready and take note of the current settings just in case :)[/quote]

Oops! too late....

Actually, they were all set to "off" so not too hard to recall.

right, off to find the "growl/mwah" frequency.... think about 800hz should do it....