Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 or Little Giant 1000 or MB2 500

paddy mcbride

Ok so from the title of the thread you know what i'm looking at.

I am in a hardcore/metal which is about to start gigging. With gigs across the country and mainland Europe we are looking to travel light and only use our full setup (marshalls and ampegs) when we are close to home. I have read loads about the lightweight options available and really like the look of the Mb2 500 and the Shuttle 6.0. I was leaning more towards the shuttle just because of reviews but the mb2 500 size is impressive. The little giant is just an option because of cost really.

Can you please suggest which of the three you would buy and why.

Cheers

Paddy

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='539123' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:44 AM']Don't get the Little Giant on the basis of cost. As some wise person once said, you'll still be playing through the thing long after you've forgotten how much it cost.

S.P.[/quote]

I think more importantly you should not rule out the little giant because of cost either, you may prefer that over more exspencive heads. Also the little giant would have an impact on your cab choice as well I'd exspect. All in the sound though...

The shuttle and the genz will sound quite different apparently the MB2 500 is very similar to the typical Genz tone of the 1001 or the 700 rb so if you like that then that's probably a good route to go down.

The shuttle has the valve pre though which might suit your tone a lot better if you like to drive your sound. Depends if your the clynical metal bass tone guy or the driven to hell type.

Also could consider the markbass littlemark just to confuse things further.

Those comparisons are just from some pretty in depth reading off talkbass as I've only owned and played the shuttle and the littlemark.

Edited by Sugden

I play in a similar type of band, but more modern punk orientated. I opted for the Mark Bass LM3, as I have the Orange for big shows where it isnt a 'tightly packed van' and that gives all the tube gain I'd ever need. The LM3 is a lovely bit of kit. The two filters can be fiddled with to gve you a nice modern twangy bass sound. If you want some grunt, put a Sansamp BDDI or VT Character pedal in front of it. I have mine in a padded Gig Skinz bag...and as much as that isnt as protective as a rack, it works pretty well. Good for small tours and being on the move :)

Again, Im the same, full setup close to home or big shows, and the lightweight head for touring....I hated the thought of taking my beloved Orange on tour, and it weighs a lot in its case.

Have you any idea on a cab for your tour? At the moment I just use the backline cabs as we never have room for more than 1 or 2 guitar cabs and full kit

Edited by Musicman20

If you're not in too much of a hurry maybe this will be worth it? - [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitarAmps/pid15406/cid561/OrangeBT500HBassTerrorHead.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitarAmps/...sTerrorHead.asp[/url] Due for release around 1st August.

Switchable 500watts into 4 or 8 ohms and light & cheap :)

I might have a look at the LM3 as well. Thanks

My main head is an SVT6PRo and there is no way I wanna travel with that baby. It weighs a ton especially as I have a back up 500watt pa head in the case as well which i actually use to drive the SVT410he when i'm using full setup (completed by a warwick 8x10)

As for Cabs, I will use what is there most likely. If we have to travel with small cabs i will use my SVT410he.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='539193' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:59 AM']I play in a similar type of band, but more modern punk orientated. I opted for the Mark Bass LM3, as I have the Orange for big shows where it isnt a 'tightly packed van' and that gives all the tube gain I'd ever need. The LM3 is a lovely bit of kit. The two filters can be fiddled with to gve you a nice modern twangy bass sound. If you want some grunt, put a Sansamp BDDI or VT Character pedal in front of it. I have mine in a padded Gig Skinz bag...and as much as that isnt as protective as a rack, it works pretty well. Good for small tours and being on the move :)

Again, Im the same, full setup close to home or big shows, and the lightweight head for touring....I hated the thought of taking my beloved Orange on tour, and it weighs a lot in its case.

Have you any idea on a cab for your tour? At the moment I just use the backline cabs as we never have room for more than 1 or 2 guitar cabs and full kit[/quote]