Why become a member? ×

Any opinions on the Ashdown Perfect 10 Stack?

Bankai

I'm looking at replacing my current (rather small) bass amp.

Has anyone used one of the Ashdown Perfect 10 Bass Stacks?

I can get one for £140. I was just wondering if anyone has used one and can tell me whether it's a complete waste of money (If it is :))

[quote name='Bankai' post='538837' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:36 PM']I'm looking at replacing my current (rather small) bass amp.

Has anyone used one of the Ashdown Perfect 10 Bass Stacks?

I can get one for £140. I was just wondering if anyone has used one and can tell me whether it's a complete waste of money (If it is :))[/quote]

I paid £85 for mine it's a awesome practice amp but if you look [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54308"]here[/url] the general consensus is that it's not gigable.

Ok, thanks for the quick response!

It would mainly be for practice/studio work so the volume won't be a problem

When taken live it'll be DIed into a pa system so should it be alright?

P.S. £85! second hand?

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='538862' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:54 PM']Ok, thanks for the quick response!

It would mainly be for practice/studio work so the volume won't be a problem

When taken live it'll be DIed into a pa system so should it be alright?

P.S. £85! second hand?[/quote]

Yeah second hand.

It sounds great at low volumes but doesn't have a DI output.

I wouldn't risk gigging it at full volume, what type of band are you in?

No DI output, hmm.

Am I right in thinking DI could (in theory) be taken from the headphones? It should be alright, just needs to be turned down mixer end

Or split the signal with a stomp box and take the DI with that?

As for type of band, it'd be used in a studio therefore for many genres of music. If I took it live it'd be Rock or light metal. But if the amp is set to 70% and the proper volume comes from the PA I can't see any problems.

Although there might be something I'm missing here.

Actually,
[quote]A front panel CD input means you can play along with pre-recorded backing tracks, while also doubling as a line output for recording situations.[/quote]
Couldn't I just take a line out then?

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='538899' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:23 PM']No DI output, hmm.

Am I right in thinking DI could (in theory) be taken from the headphones? It should be alright, just needs to be turned down mixer end

Or split the signal with a stomp box and take the DI with that?[/quote]

A DI box would be best it's just a question of whether the amp would loud enough to monitor yourself over the band.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='538903' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:25 PM']A DI box would be best it's just a question of whether the amp would loud enough to monitor yourself over the band.[/quote]

The other amps are 50W and 60W.

Plus we use stage monitors :)

Also, RE: my other question, is there a Line Output on the amp?

Edited by Bankai

Cheers Wayne :)

I only ask because the ad says this
[quote]A front panel CD input means you can play along with pre-recorded backing tracks, while also doubling as a line output for recording situations.[/quote]

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='538934' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:45 PM']A bass amp should be 3 times the power of the guitar amps on stage (I think)[/quote]

I think that's a general guide if playing minus PA. If PA monitored you should be OK, but this removes the need for a bass amp in the first place :rolleyes:

And that Peavey TNT is bombproof. It might not sound the best but not even a nuclear strike can break it :)

[quote name='charic' post='538964' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:06 PM']an old mate of mines tnt broke...[/quote]

Theres one at our old practice space that has been piss-wet through in a flood, run over by a transit and generally abused for nearly 10 years still works (almost) perfectly.

Thanks for the help guys, this seems like a good forum. I'll hang around.

All I'd like to get now is a distortion pedal for some of the songs I play...

Behringers look cheap, are they alright or are they one of those things that go into the barge pole category? :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='538967' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:10 PM']Thanks for the help guys, this seems like a good forum. I'll hang around.

All I'd like to get now is a distortion pedal for some of the songs I play...

Behringers look cheap, are they alright or are they one of those things that go into the barge pole category? :)[/quote]

I've fallen into the Behringer trap before, they look but they are sh*t. Boss overdrives are great.

[quote name='charic' post='538964' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:06 PM']an old mate of mines tnt broke...[/quote]

Without pics it didn't happen. :)

Bankai - I was about to suggest a BDI 21 for your DI needs. Cheap and cheerful and sound great. Good for overdriven type distortion as well.