Why become a member? ×

Combo

Pookus

I am about to sell my Ashdown ABM900 head and 810 cab as I have left the band and want to do other things musically and don't need such a massive rig. I want to spend the money on a few other music items (a baritone guitar!) plus a bass combo. I like vintage simplicity if possible - valves? Is there anything versatile enough so I could use for both bass and guitar amp - I used to play my bass through a Marshall guitar head and that was great. I know a bassist from the House Of Love who used to play through a Vox AC30. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Edited by Pookus

[quote name='Pookus' post='532674' date='Jul 4 2009, 05:29 PM']I am about to sell my Ashdown ABM900 head and 810 cab as I have left the band and want to do other things musically and don't need such a massive rig.[/quote]
Dump the speaker, keep the head. Get a 2x10 for now, if you ever get back into it, and you will, add more speakerage.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

Kind of want the 8x10, don't need it though.

Plenty of old valve amps are fine for both guitar and bass, I've accumulated a fair collection without spending vast amounts of cash. Plenty of fine amplifiers suffer from have the wrong name written on them, the Carlsbro in trade is an ideal example. Speakers are a bit different between guitar and bass, definitely not gonna get the right sounds using the wrong cabs either way, unless you have one of those super clean cabs and a modelling preamp/power amp deal going on.

I once played a gig where the provided 'bass amp' turned out to be a HH Musician VS 2x12. It didn't exactly have bags of bottom end, but it didn't destroy the speakers at gigging volume either. Though it rather depends on what guitar sound you want - I'd say the HH is good for post punk or wirey rock'n'roll type stuff (think Wilko Johnson).

Overall I'd say Mr Foxen's suggestion of a cheap valve amp and different cabs would be your best bet.